Engine pre-oiler to prevent camphaser failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I have read as many articles as I could find and watched all the videos on the topic of engine pre-oilers. There is a guy on YouTube who added one to his 18 expedition and it worked great.

I am seriously thinking of adding one but I want to devise a way that I could activate the pre-oiler before remotely so I can use my remote start still. Methods previously employed require a switch to activate it first and then shut off manually when pressure is normalized.

Anyone have any documentation of how the remote start works (ie wiring diagram and signals sent)? I was thinking I could have the remote start trigger a relay that would activate the preoiler but also somehow pause the actual start of engine for a few seconds while oil got to where it needed to go.

If anyone has also thought about this could you share your ideas. I love my expedition but if cam phasers keep failing it won't make it past my warranty period and I am not paying full price for a 22.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you hold the gas pedal to the floor while starting the engine, it will allow you to crank it for a few seconds (to get oil flowing) before the engine actually starts. If you're handy with electronics you could probably wire something up to simulate full throttle gas pedal for a few seconds to enable it to happen during a remote start. That sounds easier and cheaper to me than a pre-oiler.

More info https://youtu.be/dFI2URUsx0Y?t=150

OP
OP
TheDoug

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you hold the gas pedal to the floor while starting the engine, it will allow you to crank it for a few seconds (to get oil flowing) before the engine actually starts. If you're handy with electronics you could probably wire something up to simulate full throttle gas pedal for a few seconds to enable it to happen during a remote start. That sounds easier and cheaper to me than a pre-oiler.

More info https://youtu.be/dFI2URUsx0Y?t=150
I have read about the gas pedal trick but it still rotates then internals correct? With preoiler, oil will lube everything before any cranking occurs.

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have read about the gas pedal trick but it still rotates then internals correct? With preoiler, oil will lube everything before any cranking occurs.

That's true, but the starter turns the engine at a much lower RPM while oil pressure builds so that when the engine does start (and RPMs increase) there's already oil in there. Presumably, any lack of oil damage being done would be negligent at starter speeds, especially compared to a cold start 0-to-1500+ RPM without any oil pressure. It's not perfect, but for cost-benefit I think it's good enough, for me at least.

OP
OP
TheDoug

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's true, but the starter turns the engine at a much lower RPM while oil pressure builds so that when the engine does start (and RPMs increase) there's already oil in there. Presumably, any lack of oil damage being done would be negligent at starter speeds, especially compared to a cold start 0-to-1500+ RPM without any oil pressure. It's not perfect, but for cost-benefit I think it's good enough, for me at least.
Thanks for the input...

I still want to investigate the possibility of implementing my plan. The cost of the pre-oiler and parts aren't too bad.

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ouote from another forum

You’re simply masking the issue by building oil pressure before the engine starts. Cam phasers are designed to lock at base timing after shutting down. This allows time for oil pressure to build in the heads on the next cold start. The oil pressure unseats the locking pin and the PCM can then control the phaser position via the VCT solenoid. When the phasers don’t properly lock, they rattle until there is sufficient oil pressure to fill the VCT unit. This is why the updated parts have a redesigned locking mechanism. Hope that helps.

OP
OP
TheDoug

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ouote from another forum

You’re simply masking the issue by building oil pressure before the engine starts. Cam phasers are designed to lock at base timing after shutting down. This allows time for oil pressure to build in the heads on the next cold start. The oil pressure unseats the locking pin and the PCM can then control the phaser position via the VCT solenoid. When the phasers don’t properly lock, they rattle until there is sufficient oil pressure to fill the VCT unit. This is why the updated parts have a redesigned locking mechanism. Hope that helps.
Thanks for the info.

I am on my second set of phasers, first ones were supposed to be the updated ones, but failed after 13k miles. Hoping the new ones last but was investigating the pre-oiler to help prevent premature failure.

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ouote from another forum

Good info, thanks.