Engine Replacement Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
No it's not and I wouldn't even consider it. Those must be shop prices at $2,000 to do the timing set and oil pump. There are tons of guys that work on these all the time that charge far less than that.
I could go and take my pick of 2000-2004 expeditions with decent miles and in good shape for between 2 and $3,000.

So just leave it w all these miles? No preventative action like timing job?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We've had a lot of members go the distance on original timing parts. You might open Pandora's box by tearing into your motor. It shouldn't but does in a lot of situations. Timing chains can go a long time. If it we're a timing belt, obviously you have to get rid of those at 90k. They will snap if you push them too far.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Everyone I ever heard that had a problem would start at clicking or tapping from the timing chain, guides, or tensioner. Often this would resolve itself after the tensioner clicked out to the next position or the oil pushed it out. I have also seen some with over 200,000 miles only make the noise on an occasional startup and then a different brand or grade of oil completely made the noise go away.
Very, very few first generation modulars ever jump time or bang valves to Pistons so it's not really something you have to worry about immediately. They will usually give you a long time of warning with tapping and clicking noises before it's strands you.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Thanks TobyU. That clarifies it for me. Knowing that rather than a bang ping catastrophic failure these 2v will signal in advance makes my decision to wait much more worry free.

Now, let’s talk about the 6.2l 2v engines lol!
I’m hankering for a pickup truuuuuk.

OP
OP
Rich_007

Rich_007

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Talked to shop about engine swap: He said book labor rate is about $1400. Based on my experience with them, they always quote high, especially on something like this. My guess is their labor will be more like a grand or less unless they run into problems. Used engines with approx 125K miles on them seem to be running about $1200 in my area. I am thinking the out the door bill for an engine swap with a new water pump and timing chain, some gaskets, etc... will be right at the three grand mark. This makes it doable. Then I will just have to hope the tranny or nothing else terminal pops up in the next year or so.
Right now I haven't heard any noise for a while and the ticking has all but disappeared. I just wanted to get some info ahead of time, so if this thing suddenly gives up the ghost, I know whether to junk it or fix it.
Thanks for the inputs.
Rich

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just went through this with two friends of mine in the past 3 months. One purchased his engine for a 98 town car in Florida for $505 and had it put in for 750. It was a salvage yard that does the work too. The other one had an 2008 or 10 Lexus with higher miles that overheated and crack the head or blue head gaskets or whatever.
Cheapest quote from a garage was 1550. Someone a lot more than that. Going rate for mechanics on the side to 700-1200 hundred. It's at someone's place right now to get the engine swap for 750. We will see how it all comes out.