Engine seized

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cdahlen

Reaction score
2011 made it to 230,000 miles. Engine seized up. What would everyone do? Get a reman. Engine or just scrap it &move on

jkayca

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Scrap it and move on. If the transmission goes you will be looking an another heft bill.

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On one hand, replacing the engine will cost thousands and you would still have a chassis with 230k miles on it.

On the other, used vehicles are at record high prices and new vehicles simply do not exist in many instances.

I suppose it all comes down to the condition of the rest of the vehicle and/or exactly what you are looking for. If the rest of the vehicle is in great condition it's probably worth replacing the engine. If it's not or you're looking for a different type of vehicle, then scrapping or parting it out would probably make sense.

megan4221977

Reaction score
@cdahlen if you love the truck, try to find one in your area that has been wrecked, most places will only pay $400 or so for vehicle, and a lot of people just want it gone! If has good engine and transmission, possibly lower miles, buy it and use for parts!!

proftomda

Reaction score
Depends on the overall condition of the car. Any accident history, condition of paint and interior, do the other systems work? If the answers are positive, then I would at least consider it, especially given how much would you spend
to replace the car…

Goofy173

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Trust me. After repair it'll still be worth half the cost of a new engine. Just went thru this

proftomda

Reaction score
No doubt. Doing maintenance generally does not result in increased resale value. The question I was posing was “what car can be purchased these days for engine replacement cost on the expo”? Would it be reliable? Would this expo with a new engine be reliable? Depends on condition. My 300,000 mile expedition is extremely reliable on the original engine and transmission. Alternator and ac compressor only non routine maintenance items replaced since new.

Ellison Brown III

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On one hand, replacing the engine will cost thousands and you would still have a chassis with 230k miles on it.

On the other, used vehicles are at record high prices and new vehicles simply do not exist in many instances.

I suppose it all comes down to the condition of the rest of the vehicle and/or exactly what you are looking for. If the rest of the vehicle is in great condition it's probably worth replacing the engine. If it's not or you're looking for a different type of vehicle, then scrapping or parting it out would probably make sense.
What he said…