Engine warm up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Clemson82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here's another, road & track saying basically the same thing. This one has an engineer explaining why in detail.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/videos/a30249/why-you-shouldnt-warm-up-your-car/

If letting your car idle for 15 minutes was harmful, they wouldn't sell remote start as a feature.

The articles also don't address the items others have mentioned, warming the plastic components in the engine bay, etc. In this day and age, it's difficult to know the agenda behind some of what is published. Is it for the benefit of the consumer, or just for reduced emissions? One source is a government agency that mentions protecting the environment in their mission statement. Both may be important, but that's a whole different discussion.

In the second article "And as Jason explains, idling an engine doesn't really build up much heat at all, compared to driving it.". Maybe Jason drives a hybrid... Let him warm up a V8 for 15 minutes and then stick his hand on the block.

JohnT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So just that people don't think this is all theoretical. This morning...........

20190208_080314.jpg

This is what you transmission temp is like after 10 minutes of warmup and 10 more minutes of highway driving

20190208_075629.jpg

And after 10 minutes of warm-up, 20 minutes of highway and another 10 minutes of city driving

20190208_080612.jpg

Last edited:

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
While I agree with you that there is no harm in idling your engine 15 minutes and I will say it's even better for the car, even if it was worse, they would still sell remote starters. They don't care. And neither frankly does the dealer or manufacturer. As long as it wasn't so bad that it blew them up under warranty they will sell you anything they can to make four or five hundred more dollars and to make it more convenient for you.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With twin turbos on these 3.5's as all turbos, they recommend leaving the engine running for at least 3 minutes after running for 20 minutes. I would imagine the same goes for cold start up I've never heard or seen anyone including myself, that had oil burning or smoking, after long cold start running, due to fuel dumping. Fuel is a strong solvent, but it would take a lot to disrupt a seated in set of eight cylinders pistons rings.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Plati

Reaction score
With twin turbos on these 3.5's as all turbos, they recommend leaving the engine running for at least 3 minutes after running for 20 minutes. …….
I know you know a lot, but …. is that really true?
I cant imagine how annoying it would be to sit in a parking lot for 3 minutes, watching the clock and waiting just to shut the engine off. It cant be true! I thought they were water cooled negating that requirement? is that in the Owners Manual? Who would do that?

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know you know a lot, but …. is that really true?

I think it’s more of a general turbo thing. You don’t want to have hot oil sitting in the turbo when you shut down. It’ll cook the oil.

Some turbo cars will install a “turbo timer” which allows the engine to run for awhile after you take out your key, shut and lock the door, and walk away. Of course this was done on cars about 20 years ago- I dont know how/if the new chip technology used in keys changes this.

Plati

Reaction score
I think it’s more of a general turbo thing. You don’t want to have hot oil sitting in the turbo when you shut down. It’ll cook the oil.

Some turbo cars will install a “turbo timer” which allows the engine to run for awhile after you take out your key, shut and lock the door, and walk away. Of course this was done on cars about 20 years ago- I dont know how/if the new chip technology used in keys changes this.
I read an article a while back about the Ecoboost not requiring that , they designed that problem out "supposedly" by cooling with the cooling system not oil. In the old days turbo's had that issue but my understanding is that Ecoboost does not. I have been wrong before (one in the 70's).

article (I believe everything I read)
http://www.hendonpub.com/resources/article_archive/results/details?id=1091

Of course that article may have been written by some arm of the government like the EPA so it might be propaganda and a plot by the government to mislead us?

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry, what I read was way off. The cool down procedure for turbos is 30 seconds for shorter trips, 60 seconds if you've been driving it hard, or coming off a longer trip. My apologies to the forum. Don't own a turbo myself, and was going by info I read somewhere.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I've been trying to find some real unbiased info on this cool down procedure. Only thing so far is older Tapatalk guys back 5 years ago. All the ones that seem to know, say due to coolant cooling them down, it's not really necessary like the oil cooled ones of yesterday. But, with reading here about so many early turbo failures, I'm wondering if doing a short cool down would have extended the turbos life. Are their any experts here on the forum, that can provide accurate info as to if the short procedure is an actual test like oil intervals. It would be interesting if 2 vehicles were tested one cooled down, one not, then pulling and inspection of both vehicles turbos, and ancillary parts. Anyone?

Julian

Reaction score
So just that people don't think this is all theoretical. This morning...........

View attachment 28693

This is what you transmission temp is like after 10 minutes of warmup and 10 more minutes of highway driving

View attachment 28694

And after 10 minutes of warm-up, 20 minutes of highway and another 10 minutes of city driving

View attachment 28695

My bet is that those component temps are exactly what they are supposed to be at -40C. Honda, Ford, Chrysler, and others all do/have done extensive cold weather testing in Thompson Manitoba.

Last edited: