Engine warm up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How durable are the ones on say a big Cummins 18 wheeler? Do they fail at 100k? Or will they run over 200k or more? Anybody here drive a turbo big rig?

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

JohnT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would have thought it was start stop cycles or heat cycles more than mileage that would impact a turbo so big rigs might easily see 1/2 a million miles? Just thinking out loud

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a factory Garrett turbo on a 97 f350 powerstroke utility body dually with 240,000 miles on it and never a lick of trouble with the turbo. Bought the truck brand new so I know it’s never been replaced. It’s been used like a work truck since day one...... no babying.

JohnT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a factory Garrett turbo on a 97 f350 powerstroke utility body dually with 240,000 miles on it and never a lick of trouble with the turbo. Bought the truck brand new so I know it’s never been replaced. It’s been used like a work truck since day one...... no babying.

Guessing you change your oil regularly which seems to be the biggest factor in turbo life followed distantly by hot shutdowns and beyond that, infinitesimally small percentages for everything else that might break a turbo

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oil changed or not...turbos in the past 40+
years rarely last the life of a car. They are an item that is considered normal to be replaced in its life, like an alternator or starter. We don't expect these parts to last 150K+ miles.
Many parts rarely need to be replaced...though it looks like in the future that will be changing.

I simply prefer to not have one on a daily driver or work car. A play or sports car....I love a supercharger or turbo!

barongan

Reaction score
I don't have personal experience with them, but I was considering them when I was looking
o.png

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If your considering a 2015-19 Expedition, turbos are your only option. Next year 2020, who knows. Every vehicle, even the steady as a rock Toyota's have their problems. Even Rolls Royce isn't perfect. Read through the past few months on 4th gen Expeditions, their quirks, and any Tsb bulletins. Overall the customers that bought them seem to be happy. If you are thinking about purchasing one used, ask for service records, have a mechanic check it over, and pull the trigger if it's what you like. Above all else, purchase a dealer warranty from one of the online dealerships. Cheaper than buying direct from selling lot.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If your considering a 2015-19 Expedition, turbos are your only option. Next year 2020, who knows. Every vehicle, even the steady as a rock Toyota's have their problems. Even Rolls Royce isn't perfect. Read through the past few months on 4th gen Expeditions, their quirks, and any Tsb bulletins. Overall the customers that bought them seem to be happy. If you are thinking about purchasing one used, ask for service records, have a mechanic check it over, and pull the trigger if it's what you like. Above all else, purchase a dealer warranty from one of the online dealerships. Cheaper than buying direct from selling lot.

But too new to really see how many turbos will need to be replaced by the time these are 15+ years olds and 150K+ on them.
I know I will NEVER have to replace a turbo on a 5.4 2 valve or 4.6 or GM 5.3.

So that's the answer....if they would jsut stop making cars with extra parts....it would be cheaper to maintain...EXTRA crap like alternators and starters..you know.
Frivolous junk.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Personally Toby, I think you should build a low compression turbo 5.4. say around 7.5 to 8.1 compression ratio. That would be a fun hill puller. We had a guy here about 4 months back that did a supercharger on his 5.4. Horsepower was around 480, with around 550 or more in torque. That's a soccer mom's car!