ERB caliper piston won't budge...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PCDS

Reaction score
Trying to do pads on 2020 Max.
It says it is in Brake Maintenance Mode on the dashboard but the puck will not go in at all. I have the tool.

Any thing I could be missing? I had problems getting it into maintenace mode, had to try several times but now the light says it is in. I also have an OK indicator in the same message panel, I'v pushed ok so it goes out, no difference. Puck will still not go back in.
Is there a different electric reset or something?

Attachments

• 20230204_165650.jpg
    20230204_165650.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 20230204_165629.jpg
    20230204_165629.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 20230204_165426.jpg
    20230204_165426.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Trying to do pads on 2020 Max.
It says it is in Brake Maintenance Mode on the dashboard but the puck will not go in at all. I have the tool.

Any thing I could be missing? I had problems getting it into maintenace mode, had to try several times but now the light says it is in. I also have an OK indicator in the same message panel, I'v pushed ok so it goes out, no difference. Puck will still not go back in.
Is there a different electric reset or

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score

OP
OP
P

PCDS

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Problem wasn't that the vehicle was not in "maintenance" mode. It was. It took a couple of cycles of pressing the gas, lifting the P brake button then pressing the start button 4 times. But the message came up, in Maintenance mode. When I finished up and took it out of maintenance mode it worked the first try.

The problem turned out to be wrong tool. The caliper piston on this build was of the type that is required to be turned as it is pushed in, requiring a different tool than the one I was using.
The tool that did the job had a cap set that when placed over the piston engaged it so that it was turned as it was pushed in at about a 1" in 4 turn thread.
The way to know which piston type you have is to look at the face. If it has 2 short posts on it, It requires the tool that turns it at the same time it is pushing it in.

Last edited: