Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

juan214

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK boys and girls looking for some input. This is my first time using a smoke machine. So bear with me, I am not looking to just change parts. Here we go.

1. Pulled the service port core and connected the smoke machine to it.
2. Ran it until I saw smoke leaking.
3. Found smoke coming from two spots in the left frame rail (a false source of leaks).
4. Pulled vapor canister down and plugged the vent tube. I assume it is supposed to be open?
5. Ran the test again smoke leaking from intake snorkel. Removed intake at Throttle Body and plugged the throttle body.

Leaks / Smoke found:
* Vacuum line: Dry rot (repaired with EGR Pressure Feedback Hose)
* Throttle body leaking from shaft seals/openings.
* Small leak at right front of Intake Manifold.
* EGR Valve

Throttle Body:
I assume there are not replacement seals for a simple repair.

Intake Manifold:
I assume the gaskets need replace, unless there's a crack or the bolts lost torque.

EGR Valve:
I assume it needs to be replace, I am guessing it is stuck and should not be leaking at all.

Any input is appreciated in advance.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you experiencing drivability issues or getting any DTC codes ? If the throttle body shaft is just a tiny bit of smoke I wouldn't worry about it, unless you're getting a high idle for no other reason. The intake manifold of course should not be leaking any smoke. The hoses you already know to replace. The EGR valve may leak a tiny single stream on the low side of the diaphragm housing. Tiny bit of smoke from the idle air control valve vent as well. But NONE from the intake manifold or any vacuum hoses.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

juan214

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Truck ran basically fine just has bad Idles since the beginning of spring, did not drive it all winter.

The truck would never PASS the EVAP monitor tests. So I was working on EVAP / IM Readiness issues for state inspection. Fuel trim readings look to be bad so I started looking for vacuum leaks before codes started tripping. I was looking for a vacuum leak at the back of the engine from a winter repair that may have gone bad. Finally got its first ever real code for a repair. First code was for a misfire, it was a bad boot and coil spring (fixed). The current code is a P0453 for Fuel Tank Pressure (waiting to do electrical test). Last week I blew number THREE, LOL nothing major. Now just waiting on Loctite that no one has locally to fix that.

I thought the EGR had an issue it is an original and I have never change it. When the pressure built and smoke bellowed out the bottom I though that could be a vacuum leak. I wanted a second opinion. While doing the plug repair I'll tackle the EGR as well. The intake manifold is a tiny leak like the hose I'm hoping is a torque issue. I have a Throttle Body from 03 f-150 laying around.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would throw a new set of intake manifold gaskets on there and inspect the manifold while its removed. Can you run a smoke test from the vacuum supply hose there at the Evap solenoid on the firewall, so you're just looking for leaks in the Evap circuit itself ?

OP
OP
J

juan214

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would throw a new set of intake manifold gaskets on there and inspect the manifold while its removed. Can you run a smoke test from the vacuum supply hose there at the Evap solenoid on the firewall, so you're just looking for leaks in the Evap circuit itself ?
Finally got around to replacing the intake gaskets. Manifold's all aluminum. Ran one initially see post #1. Ran brake brake cleaner looking for any leak nothing I noticed, but think I hear a slight hiss or it's just the intake. Going to run another smoke test later today or tomorrow

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze