Excessive dirt & rocks in underbody and frame

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

khammer

Reaction score
6 months after owning our used 2018 and the excessive dirt is still showing up. The history was "clean" but it appeared the previous owner lived at the end of a long dirt/gravel road or in the middle of the desert. There was dust everywhere; in the rear seat-belts, rear air vents, cargo area carpet and panels/cupholders, etc.

I had them "detail" the inside at the time of purchase but I figured the exterior and underbody would wash out with rain and a carwash subscription after some time. The dust and dirt is still coming out of all the crevices and body panel seams. I am attaching a picture showing the dirt that continues to fall from above the rear glass at the 3rd brake light. You can also see pictures of the frame with dirt caked inside and rocks in the holes. I pulled the rear bumper trim panel off this weekend and dirt and pebbles were piled in the garage underneath. I stuck a hose inside the frame and dirty water flowed out.

Aside from removing every body panel to dump any dirt and rocks left rattling around, I do not know how this could be addressed. I also do not speculate this would cause future issues other than lugging around some extra weight and maybe the occasional rock rattling around.

I have not seen much of this type of build-up and dirt trapped on my F150, but the Expeditions certainly have the body cavities and open bumpers.

IMG_4213.jpgIMG_4210.jpg

IMG_4219.jpgIMG_4220.jpg
IMG_4216.jpg

2018 Limited 302A 4wd

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
6 months after owning our used 2018 and the excessive dirt is still showing up. The history was "clean" but it appeared the previous owner lived at the end of a long dirt/gravel road or in the middle of the desert. There was dust everywhere; in the rear seat-belts, rear air vents, cargo area carpet and panels/cupholders, etc.

I had them "detail" the inside at the time of purchase but I figured the exterior and underbody would wash out with rain and a carwash subscription after some time. The dust and dirt is still coming out of all the crevices and body panel seams. I am attaching a picture showing the dirt that continues to fall from above the rear glass at the 3rd brake light. You can also see pictures of the frame with dirt caked inside and rocks in the holes. I pulled the rear bumper trim panel off this weekend and dirt and pebbles were piled in the garage underneath. I stuck a hose inside the frame and dirty water flowed out.

Aside from removing every body panel to dump any dirt and rocks left rattling around, I do not know how this could be addressed. I also do not speculate this would cause future issues other than lugging around some extra weight and maybe the occasional rock rattling around.

I have not seen much of this type of build-up and dirt trapped on my F150, but the Expeditions certainly have the body cavities and open bumpers.

View attachment 75373View attachment 75374

View attachment 75376View attachment 75377
View attachment 75375

2018 Limited 302A 4wd
Just go to a self service car wash and spray the underbody or if you have a power washer spray the vehicle. Be careful that you don't damage plastic trim or graphics (if applicable).

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is the dirt returning after you clean the parts out, or is it that you are constantly finding new places where the dirt is located?
I'd be a bit cautious about the dirt piling up in the frame like that, there has to be a lot of it flowing in to get it to clog the holes from the inside.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Another option, pay a really good detail place to do the work for you, will not be cheap. When I owned a jeep I had it done a few times. esp if you off road, rocks and dust find their way into everything.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If theres dirt piled in those crevices, every time that dirt gets wet, it lays wet against the metal. Wet metal corrodes....... Maybe not right away, but it will.

OP
OP
K

khammer

Reaction score
Just go to a self service car wash and spray the underbody or if you have a power washer spray the vehicle. Be careful that you don't damage plastic trim or graphics (if applicable).
I was planning on spraying it this weekend and seeing how much better I can clean it up.

Is the dirt returning after you clean the parts out, or is it that you are constantly finding new places where the dirt is located?
I'd be a bit cautious about the dirt piling up in the frame like that, there has to be a lot of it flowing in to get it to clog the holes from the inside.
While I AM constantly finding new places where dirt is located, I do not think it is that dirt is returning after washing it out. More so that dirt is continuing to appear out of places I have not been able to fully clean out, i.e. behind the 3rd brake light onto the rear window and at body panel seams and trim pieces. I pulled the front bumper assembly off and removed the front license plate bracket within the first couple months of owning it. I remember it being quite dusty and rocks/pebbles throughout.

One concern I had with the amount that is actually inside of the frame is that it had been buried/sunk in mud or something. I would have thought a flooded or sunk vehicle would exhibit major issues and failures mechanically/electrically and hopefully show up on vehicle history (none of which are present at the time). The running boards are fine and nothing else looks out of place.

Another option, pay a really good detail place to do the work for you, will not be cheap. When I owned a jeep I had it done a few times. esp if you off road, rocks and dust find their way into everything.
My intention is to have a good detail and advise the shop to get in the nooks and crannies on the exterior to try and get this taken care of.

If theres dirt piled in those crevices, every time that dirt gets wet, it lays wet against the metal. Wet metal corrodes....... Maybe not right away, but it will.
That was my fear. I live in East TN so not much corrosion otherwise to worry about, but I suspected this left unchecked for extended time would not be ideal in the long run.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't even live on a dirt road, and the amount of pebbles and sand that comes out anytime I bang on the rear bumper cover is nuts. And I wash every one to two weeks. There absolutely should have been more material all over these closing off these cavities. If nothing else, it would probably even help with aerodynamics.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't even live on a dirt road, and the amount of pebbles and sand that comes out anytime I bang on the rear bumper cover is nuts. And I wash every one to two weeks. There absolutely should have been more material all over these closing off these cavities. If nothing else, it would probably even help with aerodynamics.
That makes moisture traps tho, and in WI moisture traps mean corrosion. I'd rather see them open to get airflow and dry, slows the corrosion here.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
agreed for some areas, but a plastic bumper skin? It could have been molded with say pieces of the flimsy felt material (like the original skid protectors, or wait, splash guards) around the inside of the bumper skins (between the spare and the u-shaped bumper skin). It doesn't have to be completely enclosed, as you said, for allowing a little air flow for drying, but at least to limit for example the unreal amount of snow and ice that builds up in those mouldings. I have rubber mats on my garage floor to catch the moisture and during heavy snows, I can get 1-2" of water, on a mat thats roughly 8x16. That's an absurd amount, I've seen less melting from the bed of a pickup, and it's just from all of the cavities under these.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
agreed for some areas, but a plastic bumper skin? It could have been molded with say pieces of the flimsy felt material (like the original skid protectors, or wait, splash guards) around the inside of the bumper skins (between the spare and the u-shaped bumper skin). It doesn't have to be completely enclosed, as you said, for allowing a little air flow for drying, but at least to limit for example the unreal amount of snow and ice that builds up in those mouldings. I have rubber mats on my garage floor to catch the moisture and during heavy snows, I can get 1-2" of water, on a mat thats roughly 8x16. That's an absurd amount, I've seen less melting from the bed of a pickup, and it's just from all of the cavities under these.
I hear ya. My floor drains in my garage are taking water all winter. Its pretty crazy how they pack full everywhere.