Exhaust, who’s done it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
anyone done a custom or pre fabricated exhaust upgrade on Ecoboost? I’ve got a 16 that I’m contemplating doing the exhaust on it and wanted to see if anyone had done it on theirs already

Drmayer88

Reaction score
Yep- a few threads on this over the last few months.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
16plati

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yep- a few threads on this over the last few months.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hmmm did a forum search and came up with nothing. Mind pointing me in the right direction? The two threads I found were on 5.4Ls...

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What are you wanting out of an exhaust?
Are you planning a full exhaust or just wanting side exit?
The only downfall I have come across in these Ecoboosts is the exhaust sounds horrendous if you swap out the factory muffler.
Thankfully pulling the rear resonator to swap to side exit does not change the sound.

If you want a full stainless system go Magnaflow if not just have a muffler shop cut out the factory muffler and weld one in if you choice.
I have not heard a muffler/exhaust on an Ecoboost that sounds remotely pleasing.
So no way I would spend any coin to have my truck sound like crap unless there was a huge performance gain but there is not.

OP
OP
16plati

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Already done the “axle dump” rear resonator removal and that made a world of difference in sound
929D1622-BEF1-4BED-B459-3FBC947D8370.jpeg

OP
OP
16plati

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What are you wanting out of an exhaust?
Are you planning a full exhaust or just wanting side exit?
The only downfall I have come across in these Ecoboosts is the exhaust sounds horrendous if you swap out the factory muffler.
Thankfully pulling the rear resonator to swap to side exit does not change the sound.

If you want a full stainless system go Magnaflow if not just have a muffler shop cut out the factory muffler and weld one in if you choice.
I have not heard a muffler/exhaust on an Ecoboost that sounds remotely pleasing.
So no way I would spend any coin to have my truck sound like crap unless there was a huge performance gain but there is not.
Thanks for your input

Expy_Tac

Reaction score
I was looking into a cat back too but was concerned about the sound. I’m good with a little deeper throaty sound but not looking for loud at all. I hadn’t seen any reports of meaningful performance increases but also haven’t seen a lot of info on exhaust swaps for the Ecoboost. I’ll likely just remove the rear resonator and switch to side exit.

I like the exit over the axel you did here but wondering if that creates any exhaust intrusion into the cabin. Looks like you have that exit tucked pretty far back. Is that just the camera angle or is it really dumped right over the axel? I sit on SoCal freeways pretty often so not always creating a lot of airflow under the truck.

OP
OP
16plati

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was looking into a cat back too but was concerned about the sound. I’m good with a little deeper throaty sound but not looking for loud at all. I hadn’t seen any reports of meaningful performance increases but also haven’t seen a lot of info on exhaust swaps for the Ecoboost. I’ll likely just remove the rear resonator and switch to side exit.

I like the exit over the axel you did here but wondering if that creates any exhaust intrusion into the cabin. Looks like you have that exit tucked pretty far back. Is that just the camera angle or is it really dumped right over the axel? I sit on SoCal freeways pretty often so not always creating a lot of airflow under the truck.
There is no cabin drone. You want noise, remove that huge muffler and run a straight pipe. Talk about crappy sound though. All I did was DC the clamp in the exhaust bend, put a 30 degree elbow and attach the tip. I’ll see if I can get u a better pic here in a few

Expy_Tac

Reaction score
Cool. Yeah would like to keep things quiet for sure. This is the family-mobile after all and if the kiddos can’t hear their movies, there’ll be hell to pay. :facepalm:

Thanks for clarifying the exhaust drone. I hadn’t even thought about that possibility. I meant any sign of fumes leaking into the passenger area while sitting still (or at anytime for that matter)?