Expedition Alternative

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the comments and recommendations. My reason for shying away from any turbo is my disdain for unnecessary technology. I usually try to buy the most basic, simple stuff that works for me. I view the turbo as just more to break, more to maintain and simply more stuff than I need.

Not a fan of GM, but I'll check out what they have to offer and compare the complexity of servicing, durability and that stuff. That's what sells me, not the bells and whistles, technology or ride quality. If I could by a new 96 Bronco today, I would in a minute.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The current models started in 2015. I hardly think 4 years is ‘forever’. They also hold their value very well. Even the 2014’s (old body style) remain attractive in the used car market. In fact a mid level Tahoe (LT) with typical mileage still pulls in between $22-30k in the used market.

Important to note that (much to the dismay of GM fanboys) the new models will have IRSs

The new chassis was supposed to be released in 2020, but just recently got pushed back to 2021, so If I had bought a 2019, I would of bought the last year Dinosaur with the ancient chassis. I refused to touch that....

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The new chassis was supposed to be released in 2020, but just recently got pushed back to 2021, so If I had bought a 2019, I would of bought the last year Dinosaur with the ancient chassis. I refused to touch that....

Again, it would have only been a 4 year old model but...

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My reason for shying away from any turbo is my disdain for unnecessary technology. I usually try to buy the most basic, simple stuff that works for me. I view the turbo as just more to break, more to maintain and simply more stuff than I need.

With this disdain for tech you’d be better served stating what tech/features you do feel comfortable with and then searching within those parameters. This would, at least, point you to the proper decade to start your search.

For what it’s worth the EcoBoost has been around for 10 years so it’s not new tech by any means, not to mention forced induction dates back to the 80’s.... the 1880’s.

OP
OP
T

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I've warmed up to plenty of new ideas; I'll give the turbo it's due before I buy anything. Just wanted to see what your guys' experiences were with more simple machines. I just see the turbo as one more layer of stuff to go wrong and to maintain and to work around whenever I dig into the engine compartment.

Also a little dismayed at all the nonsense we've had with spark plug blow outs, breaking, timing chain guides, valve phasers, and all that other stuff we've dealt with over the years... I'm sure other manufacturers have had their problems, so I looked for your opinions.

m3bs

Reaction score
No engine is simple these days, but I’ve owned enough modern turbo cars not to be concerned about reliability. I replaced a 2005 Armada with a 2019 Expedition. The EB won’t make V8 noises, but it moves the big truck surprisingly well. Pulling my trailer it just chugs up hills at 2500 rpm that used to have the old V8 screaming at 5000, and the Armada was a beast compared to my old ‘99 5.4 Expedition. Drove the EB 2600 miles to Canada and back and got an honest 23 mpg (24-25 indicated)

None of the competitors had a flat load floor all the way to the front seats. I rarely carry more than one other person, but need the space to haul tires, coolers and other track gear, and a big dog crate.

I’ve just done a short 75 mile test drive with my 4500# open car trailer so far, but I indicated over 15 mpg. Next weekend will be the real test. 700 mile tow.

Neil T Casey

Reaction score
If you are not in a huge hurry I would wait for the next gen GM triplets to come out if you really want to compare. They all will have independent rears and will be quite a bit different between the 3. The Nissan Armada is also a decent option, its basically a QX80 with 20 year old outdated radio/navigation software being the biggest knock against it. Personally you cant beat the current gen Expy/Navis for whats out right now.

dj2big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There's nothing but good intentions to this post; I know this is an Expedition site and I've loved the Expeditions that I have owned. The time's coming to replace mine and I'm somewhat resigned to not buying a V-6 Turbo. So I'm looking at other options, even other American brands.

I'm sure some owners here have compared before buying. Has anyone seriously considered a Tahoe or Suburban? I'd like to hear of what GM or Dodge shortcomings convinced you to stay with Ford.

Not criticizing here, just my personal opinion. I'd like to hear yours.

I just traded a Tahoe I purchased in 2017 because I didn’t want to drive a V6 Expedition again I have owned

2011 xlt
2013 king ranch
2015 limited
2017 Tahoe
2019 XLT max fx4

I can tell you this Tahoe Premier is nice and the 2015 Expedition was sluggish but the new expeditions blows away Tahoe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mossback

2017 Limited EL
Reaction score
Many people have left GM for the Expy. Me included.

Same here. Had suburbans and Tahoe’s from 1999 until 2017. The Expy was just much better in many regards.

Trainmaster, I had a ‘86 Bronco II in the early 90’s. Loved that rig.