Expedition - Impressed (tow capacity)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michael McC

Reaction score
Glad to see some educated people regarding towing here. I'm interested in suggestions on my towing. I have a 2017 with 3.73 gears and a 2" lift on all 4 corners. Towing an aluminum 4Star 2-horse trailer that weighs 3,200 lbs. empty. Usually less than 2,000 lbs. of horse in it.

The Expy tows it like a dream. No sway, plenty of power, good stopping with e brakes. My problem is the tongue weight. They put the wheels WAY too far back on most horse trailers. Empty tongue weight is 400 lbs. per 4Star. Measured at the hitch, the back end drops 2" when I connect the trailer (empty). If I put one horse in the back, it comes up a bit. Two horses and it's lower, so over 400 lbs. tongue weight.

I know I'm close to exceeding recommended tongue weight and I always feel like I'm trashing my shocks. I'm interested in suggestions going forward. I have thought about Sumo Springs, but that's more of a band-aid. I have talked to a couple of 4Star dealers. Not much help. They agree I would have to modify the trailer to even access the frame rails, as they are covered. Might also need to drill holes. Looking at the hitch below, on huge discount.

Or should I just get the Monroe shocks with the spring built in? They load the gas part first, then engage the spring when loaded. Got a pair for my daughter's F150. Any thoughts or ideas?

https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distribution/Reese/RP67509.html

Last edited:

Zig10

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Glad to see some educated people regarding towing here. I'm interested in suggestions on my towing. I have a 2017 with 3.73 gears and a 2" lift on all 4 corners. Towing an aluminum 4Star 2-horse trailer that weighs 3,200 lbs. empty. Usually less than 2,000 lbs. of horse in it.

The Expy tows it like a dream. No sway, plenty of power, good stopping with e brakes. My problem is the tongue weight. They put the wheels WAY too far back on most horse trailers. Empty tongue weight is 400 lbs. per 4Star. Measured at the hitch, the back end drops 2" when I connect the trailer (empty). If I put one horse in the back, it comes up a bit. Two horses and it's lower, so over 400 lbs. tongue weight.

I know I'm close to exceeding recommended tongue weight and I always feel like I'm trashing my shocks. I'm interested in suggestions going forward. I have thought about Sumo Springs, but that's more of a band-aid. I have talked to a couple of 4Star dealers. Not much help. They agree I would have to modify the trailer to even access the frame rails, as they are covered. Might also need to drill holes. Looking at the hitch below, on huge discount.

Or should I just get the Monroe shocks with the spring built in? They load the gas part first, then engage the spring when loaded. Got a pair for my daughter's F150. Any thoughts or ideas?

https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distribution/Reese/RP67509.html

For Horse / Travel trailers with heavy tongue weights I have always been under the opinion that a WDH (like you showed) is the answer. With the lift, the overload on the tongue weight would likely be even more pronounced because the COG is higher in the vehicle.

That said, if you're running at highway speeds, I'd probably look at one with the anti-sway connections, too. Something like this: https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distribution/Equal-i-zer/EQ37101ET.html

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For Horse / Travel trailers with heavy tongue weights I have always been under the opinion that a WDH (like you showed) is the answer. With the lift, the overload on the tongue weight would likely be even more pronounced because the COG is higher in the vehicle.

That said, if you're running at highway speeds, I'd probably look at one with the anti-sway connections, too. Something like this: https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distribution/Equal-i-zer/EQ37101ET.html

Go with the WDH with sway control that is best supported by the "trailer places" where you live. I bought the Reese WDH with sway control (Love it!) but NOBODY in my area carries it, knows how it works, stocks parts, etc. I later found out the Equal-i-zer is made here and that is what EVERYONE uses, carries, stocks parts for, etc. If I need something I have to order it online, if I need help I have to search online. Hasn't been a huge problem but it could be. So, give some of the RV dealers or trailer places in your area a call and see what brand they stock and sell. I almost missed a trip because online parts delivery was slow.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Couple that with the smaller tank on the newer ones and this is starting to sound like I keep mine longer.

Suggestions?
Don't worry about the smaller tank. The increased fuel economy of the 3.5L w/10speed means the range is the same.

RustyOval

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Leveling the tow vehicle by giving extra support to the rear suspension doesn't really do anything. If you do not want a "white knuckle" tow, get a WDH. A WDH will actually transfer weight to the front axle where it needs to be. If the WDH is set up correctly the space between the top of the tires and the fender wells will be nearly the same amount of inches lower in the front as well as in the back. I have always had a little more squat in the back and this is normal. (Im talking 3/4" - 1 1/2" diference).

Molaf

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Leveling the tow vehicle by giving extra support to the rear suspension doesn't really do anything. If you do not want a "white knuckle" tow, get a WDH. A WDH will actually transfer weight to the front axle where it needs to be. If the WDH is set up correctly the space between the top of the tires and the fender wells will be nearly the same amount of inches lower in the front as well as in the back. I have always had a little more squat in the back and this is normal. (Im talking 3/4" - 1 1/2" diference).
What are your thoughts on Andersen chain WDH?

https://www.amazon.com/Andersen-3350-Weight-Distribution-Hitch44/dp/B006X21B0M/?tag=car-bibles-20

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Leveling the tow vehicle by giving extra support to the rear suspension doesn't really do anything.

Absolutely does, it keeps your headlights level so you don’t blind everyone at night and puts the light back down on the road so you can see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RustyOval

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Absolutely does, it keeps your headlights level so you don’t blind everyone at night and puts the light back down on the road so you can see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ill give you that, but the front axle is still light.