Expedition is going under the knife for VCT solenoid.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bill_b

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Had a couple warranty repairs done last week and one of the ones I pointed out to the dealership was a loud ticking upon cold start for about 90 seconds. Dealership determined that they think its VCT (Variable Cam Timing) due to a service bulletin out on the expeditions.

He told me in an ideal world he will have it for 2 weeks. Seeing as we are in the middle of a pandemic, shipping is slow, manufacturing is behind... I am going to figure for a month.

Before I drop it off I am considering getting the second opinion of another dealership (seeing as its still under warranty, shouldn't cost me anything).

I think the most disappointing part is I am going to have to drive an Edge or Explorer for however long lol. Maybe I will tell them "I need it for towing so give me an F150".

Ugh, disappointing :(

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had mine replaced approx 6 months ago and I think they had it for a little under 2 weeks while waiting on part. Luckily I got an expedition to drive while they did it.

Good luck

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Had a couple warranty repairs done last week and one of the ones I pointed out to the dealership was a loud ticking upon cold start for about 90 seconds. Dealership determined that they think its VCT (Variable Cam Timing) due to a service bulletin out on the expeditions.
He told me in an ideal world he will have it for 2 weeks. Seeing as we are in the middle of a pandemic, shipping is slow, manufacturing is behind... I am going to figure for a month.
Before I drop it off I am considering getting the second opinion of another dealership (seeing as its still under warranty, shouldn't cost me anything).
I think the most disappointing part is I am going to have to drive an Edge or Explorer for however long lol. Maybe I will tell them "I need it for towing so give me an F150".
Ugh, disappointing :(

Can you post a video of the sound. I doubt these are your cam phasers since the bad phasers on this engine generally rattle only for 2 seconds at cold start up.

The turbo waste gates are known to rattle (not as loud) for 90 seconds or so after startup until they close, then the rattle stops promptly when they are actuated by the PCM (Ford programming). Ford says turbo rattles are normal, but some members here got them replaced under warranty.

That said, according to your title, you mentioned the "VCT solenoids". These are the oil solenoids for the cam phasers and they can also cause ticking in the valve train.

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have a 2018 XLT
Tuned a week after I bought it
Never had any ticking from the cam phasers or the wastegates
Pretty sure the tune took care of that issue
Runs a H---L of a lot better
Trans programming a lot better as well:33:

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, this is the turbo waste gate rattle and not the cam phasers. Don’t have to tear down the engine.

They all do the same thing at start up, if it rattles all the time with throttle application and it bothers you, you may ask the dealer to replace the turbo that rattles.

OP
OP
bill_b

bill_b

Full Access Members
Reaction score
interesting, perhaps i will point that out to the dealer. this is kinda why i was hesitant to have the dealership just tear in to it

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Definitely the wastegates. Mine do it not only on cold startup, but even warm start ups and I can generally hear them anytime I drive through something like a "drivethru" where there are barriers on the sides that reflect the sound. I was able to sit in a dealership bay, put the car in drive, and rev it to about 2700 RPM, and it made that rattle continuously from both turbos. I've been fight Ford for almost 9 months to replace the turbos. They say its normal, but I disagree on several fronts. If it didn't do it until the vehicle hit about 7k miles, then it's not entirely normal. If a brand new one sitting next to it doesn't do it, hum? And I've built other turbo engines with electronic and mechanical wastegates that didn't make that kind of a noise. Metal flapping on metal that much will eventually wear out or cause another issue.

It's super annoying to me, sounds like a piece of crap 70's Datsun with a loose exhaust when I'm cruising through parking lots etc. For your edumacation, before Ford would approve anything, they required my local dealer to the do the VCT fix even though both myself and the dealer master tech said the sound was coming from the wheel wells and under the car, not in the vicinity of the chain/vct area. How stupid to tear apart a car for a full week when we all know that's not the noise.

OP
OP
bill_b

bill_b

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Definitely the wastegates. Mine do it not only on cold startup, but even warm start ups and I can generally hear them anytime I drive through something like a "drivethru" where there are barriers on the sides that reflect the sound. I was able to sit in a dealership bay, put the car in drive, and rev it to about 2700 RPM, and it made that rattle continuously from both turbos. I've been fight Ford for almost 9 months to replace the turbos. They say its normal, but I disagree on several fronts. If it didn't do it until the vehicle hit about 7k miles, then it's not entirely normal. If a brand new one sitting next to it doesn't do it, hum? And I've built other turbo engines with electronic and mechanical wastegates that didn't make that kind of a noise. Metal flapping on metal that much will eventually wear out or cause another issue.

It's super annoying to me, sounds like a piece of crap 70's Datsun with a loose exhaust when I'm cruising through parking lots etc. For your edumacation, before Ford would approve anything, they required my local dealer to the do the VCT fix even though both myself and the dealer master tech said the sound was coming from the wheel wells and under the car, not in the vicinity of the chain/vct area. How stupid to tear apart a car for a full week when we all know that's not the noise.
Okay, so maybe that's where my dealer is starting with VCT then. I assume you've not had your VCT done yet?