Expedition Limited vs Platinum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bkanic

Reaction score
Hello All. Brand new to this forum.
For the first time ever, i'm really interested in Ford product.
I want to know the exact upgrades/differences between the Limited and Platinum models.

One thing I noticed was the leather interiors are Grey Stone for Limited and Ceramic only for Platinum

Can anyone break down the differences?

In this link (at 2:20sec) they mention air suspension at Ford know as 'Continuously Controlled Dampers'
But he was referencing the Platinum model. Is this feature also in the Limited?

I'm not in love with polished 22" rims. I would rather have black rims, so if I can save by purchasing the Limited, I will do so, as long as i'm not missing key features.

Bill

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
there are a lot of features the Platinum has especially in the interior that the limited does not have, including judicious amounts of leather, diamond quilted leather accents, etc. it comes standard with the B/O sound system.

i believe you can get most of the other options with the limited, including the CCD suspension. The platinum has only two o three options, bucket 2nd row, headrest TVs, and HD towing

OP
OP
B

bkanic

Reaction score
there are a lot of features the Platinum has especially in the interior that the limited does not have, including judicious amounts of leather, diamond quilted leather accents, etc. it comes standard with the B/O sound system.

i believe you can get most of the other options with the limited, including the CCD suspension. The platinum has only two o three options, bucket 2nd row, headrest TVs, and HD towing

So the car companies don't necessary list all of upgrades, like extra the exta leather inside and leather accents?
The sound system is a must for me, the Limited is not upgradable?

The way I read the options on their site is that you get message seats, 22" rims and that's about all.

twernst

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So the car companies don't necessary list all of upgrades, like extra the exta leather inside and leather accents?
The sound system is a must for me, the Limited is not upgradable?

The way I read the options on their site is that you get message seats, 22" rims and that's about all.

The other important difference is in engine outputs, Plat gives 400 hp 400+ lb Tq ( I think LTD is 375 hp and less torque. Also matter real wood finish interior, this is about aesthetics, and also metal trim on steering wheel that adds a "finished look".

Other than looks it is really about:
Almost every option is "ticked" on Plat
More HP
More Torque
Massaging Seats
Active Noise Cancel
"Better" Leather

I have TD both and Plat is way to go, the CCD is standard.

OP
OP
B

bkanic

Reaction score

I had to
The other important difference is in engine outputs, Plat gives 400 hp 400+ lb Tq ( I think LTD is 375 hp and less torque. Also matter real wood finish interior, this is about aesthetics, and also metal trim on steering wheel that adds a "finished look".

Other than looks it is really about:
Almost every option is "ticked" on Plat
More HP
More Torque
Massaging Seats
Active Noise Cancel
"Better" Leather

I have TD both and Plat is way to go, the CCD is standard.

Ah, you just hit on something I was wondering. Better Leather. Because I haven't seen the interior the LTD just yet, it's an unknown on things like that.
On the horsepower point, i'm not so sure, I think it's the same engine, and the extra horse power comes from the owner opting to use premium high octane fuel. The car reads that and boosts the horsepower. Confirm or untrue?

Thanks for confirming CCD Continuously Controlled Dampers on both models.

twernst

Full Access Members
Reaction score
CCD is an option on the LTD. The HP difference is achieved not through gas choice but rather tuning, it does require the use of higher octane but that is not how the engine achieves more hp, the same is true to the Gator HP jump to 450 HP over the Expy Plat 400 HP. It was odd when I drove the LTD it was the only model I have TD that I could not get comfortable in the XLT was fine the Plat amazing the LTD couldn't get comfy, call me Goldilocks, but it just wasn't the one.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here's something I put together when I was shopping...perhaps it is helpful. I think (I did this several months ago) this reflects what is available on that trim level, not what is standard. For instance on the Ltd, you have to select the Driver Assistance Package to get the adaptive cruise, lane keep, etc.

Although I do note that the CCD (and I think the 360 camera and Park Assist) are available on the Ltd and my little chart doesn't reflect that.

upload_2018-1-18_14-47-32.png

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
it is definitely not the octane that makes the 25hp difference. it is absolutely the tune on the engine. which in turn will dictate what octane you run.