Expedition on the list of 6 vehicles most likely to reach 300,000 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Franklin Jones

Reaction score
I've always wondered how much of this was a function of "oh yeah the car is mechanically sound until 300k miles! woo!" vs "I've spent so much on this thing, and replacing it is so freakin expensive, that I keep repairing major components far past when I would have tossed a cavalier or a focus to the recycle bin."

Like, how many of you would replace a transmission in a 200k Expy for $3,000, vs replace a transmission in a 200k Cavalier for $3000?
(Sure, the only way to get a cavalier to 200k is to tow it to the mechanic for 100k of those miles, but still)

I mean, my Yukon was at 250k and I would have kept driving her except my wife told me I wasn't allowed to put any more money into repairing it. :D

OP
OP
C

coupe11

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure about that. Probably variable based on body/interior condition, how much the owner really likes it, how much the owner does in the way of maintenance/parts replacement vs. paying someone else, etc., etc., etc.

My 1990 F150 had 251,000 miles on it when I screwed up and traded it off.

Only replacements were (not counting stuff like tires, batteries, hoses, etc.

1. both gas tanks rusted out
2. rear spring perches on the back rusted out
3. one ball joint
4. radiator
5. alternator
6. brake lines rusted out
7. heater core leaked

Still had original engine (never had the valve cover off it), original clutch/pressure plate and transmission, original transfer case, u-joints, rear end in it. Interior looked like new. Some body rust over a rear fender well, in the tail gate, around one front fenderwell and both rocker panels. Still a great looking truck when I traded it in on a new Fusion for my wife.

Oh, replaced the radio, too. But not because it broke, I just wanted one with a CD player.

Some vehicles can last a long time. I'm hoping my 2014 Expedition lasts me as well as that F150 did.

Edited to add - my cousin has a 92 F150 4WD with over 340,000 miles on it. The only thing he's replaced in the drive line is the clutch, about 3 times now, he sure is hard on clutches.

Last edited: