Expedition quality issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bzav

Reaction score
Background. Had a 97 Expy and was reasonably happy with it. Traded for a new 06 Sequoia which I am still driving with 193k. Very happy with it. No major mechanical issues. Only real problem has been the back hatch locking mechanism and window., which I finally fixed after several trips to the dealer. I have never had to have a code pulled or have been stranded. Have been waiting for 2 years for the new Sequoia only to find out the rear seat doesn't fold down, making the back cargo area much less useful - I want a full sized SUV so I can haul a lot of stuff. Also has solid rear axle. So have been considering a 23 Expy.

I am amazed at the number of major and minor mechanical issues that owners are complaining about on this forum. By definition a forum like this has lots of owners with problems looking for solutions, but still seems like there are lots of problems. Lots of error codes, undriveable vehciles, and general headaches. I thought Ford had better quality..... Interested in hearing everyones take on Expedition quality issues.

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There aren't that many problems, just a lot of people posting about the few problems.

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have had zero issues and super pleased with my 2022. Remember with all forums when someone has an issue they look online and post it. And there are also those who nit pick every little item to the point of ridiculousness. There are literally millions of people with no issues do not post anything. So you have to interpret accordingly.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Background. Had a 97 Expy and was reasonably happy with it. Traded for a new 06 Sequoia which I am still driving with 193k. Very happy with it. No major mechanical issues. Only real problem has been the back hatch locking mechanism and window., which I finally fixed after several trips to the dealer. I have never had to have a code pulled or have been stranded. Have been waiting for 2 years for the new Sequoia only to find out the rear seat doesn't fold down, making the back cargo area much less useful - I want a full sized SUV so I can haul a lot of stuff. Also has solid rear axle. So have been considering a 23 Expy.

I am amazed at the number of major and minor mechanical issues that owners are complaining about on this forum. By definition a forum like this has lots of owners with problems looking for solutions, but still seems like there are lots of problems. Lots of error codes, undriveable vehciles, and general headaches. I thought Ford had better quality..... Interested in hearing everyones take on Expedition quality issues.

My experience:

I had owned GM and Dodge vehicles for 45 years. Frustrated with GM’s massive number of safety recalls on my last new GM car and problems with quality on the last new Dodge Durango 4x4 SUV, I ordered a new 2015 Ford Expedition Limited 4x4.

When I took delivery, there were several obvious body flaws (crooked trim, misadjusted hood) and several interior issues. I had to return the vehicle for repairs.

I use the vehicle exclusively for passenger use. No towing or hauling heavy cargo. No off road use.

During the base warranty period, I had numerous repairs done at the dealer. From the day I bought it, I would intermittently receive “No Key Detected” and “Trailer Wiring Faul” messages. The dealer was unable to diagnose and repair it. The messages continue to the present.

At about 70,000 miles, the water pump, degas bottle and several cooling hose assemblies were replaced at the dealer.

At about 91,000, the transmission failed. It took the dealer 51 days to repair it (after diagnosis) due to lack of parts availability from Ford.

Ford issued a safety recall on the vehicle in August 2022 for the front HVAC blower fan - potentially catching fire while the vehicle is in operation. Ford’s letter to me states parts are expected to be available by March 2023.

Recently, at about 96,000 miles, the steering rack failed. It remains parked at the dealership, now in the 7th week, due to the lack of part availability from Ford. Several days ago the service advisor said the part still hasn’t been released by Ford, and it may be several more months.

I purchased Ford’s premium extended service plan, with a $100 deductible. It has paid for itself due the numerous defects and repairs - but is no help with timely repairs because Ford is unwilling or unable to provide repair parts to its dealers.

I really like the design and size of the Expedition. I like the rear storage and 8-passenger seating. It is comfortable to drive and a very useful vehicle. I like driving it and it has been used repeatedly with passengers - primarily my wife and grandchildren.

However, the quality and reliability has been miserable and Ford has no concern for their customers that buy their vehicles new and also buy their extended service plan (versus an aftermarket plan).

I will not buy another Expedition or Ford product.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And one other point: In 2022, Ford has issued safety recalls for over eight million vehicles.

Polo08816

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There aren't that many problems, just a lot of people posting about the few problems.
Are you sure?

sandbuster

Reaction score
I think you'll find these "conversations" on forums for every product out there - no one makes perfect vehicles. I just came out of a Toyota 4Runner forum - they are great vehicles but there is a sufficient amount of disappointments even on even them. If it's a mass produced man-made item it's gonna have problems. I spent 25+ years earning my living in the auto repair trade - mostly Ford dealerships but also some independent shops. I cussed at all of them at one time or another. The thing is that now I'm old enough to see that every brand out there is making a better vehicle than years before. With so much technology going on now it's amazing there are not more complaints than we currently have. Prior to my 4Runner I had numerous Ford products including 3 Explorers and 2 Expeditions. The Explorers with their quick and nimble handling served me well, then I switched to the Expedition for it's towing ability. I personally felt the 5.4 was a slug on the two models I had - never let me down but did not have the snappiness of the 4.6L. Never experiencing an eco-boost I was leery of acquiring one but most of the reviews highly favored them. So now I have one and comparing it to previous models I've owned I couldn't be happier but I know the day will come when it will develop issues that have to be dealt with but at the end of the day I'll still love it.

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There’s no way it’s just mad people on a forum and not Ford. Look at what consumer reports just showed and how low Ford has fallen. The comments people make that they never had any problems while third parties looking at over 300k cars shows a real problem with quality control and management.

I myself own a 4th Gen Expedition with only 60k that’s not towed with and driven very soft. I use it for my kids. 4x times in for cam phaserr replacements, boost surging and truck bucking and rattling wastegates so both turbos’s replaced, trans left me on the side of the road due to C D F clutch drum failing taking 3 months to fix, bank 2 cat failed, oil pan replaced 2 times for leaks and starting again, no start due to body control module failure and numerous water leaks from the loose fitting rubber seals and tubes through the aluminum body in several spots like the sunroof drains and that’s the serious stuff. After that, on my own I’ve fixed plenty of rattles, water into the third brake light, mirror software etc. This is also a car that has its oil changed every 3500 miles, premium top tier fuel used, all fluids (diffs, transfer case, trans, coolant, brake fluid) replaced as well as the battery at 40k and still has all these issues. I’ve never maintained a car so well and had this many problems.

By far the most unreliable car I’ve owned and a joke amongst my friends. Don’t get me wrong, Ford builds great trucks but they are not looking to be forthcoming with voluntary timely service actions to fix known problems for customers already on the road at this time which looks to be from upper management. Most are way too late like the 10 speed neutral out service bulletin that came about 6 months ago but trans is out since 2017 with tons of unhappy customers. Many cars I’ve owned have forthcoming updates done when the manufacturer sees a product issue when you go in for an oil change and not even bring it up since they know of an issue and want to keep brand loyalty. The repairs they are doing are kicking the can down the road when your left stranded and it’s clear that’s driven by upper management to save money to put into new car sales to hit numbers. Just look through the forums and online of how many people got their one time only cam phaser repair for this model and they weren’t even given the latest updated part! That’s sad. If they would fix it right the first time I a timely manner and be more forthcoming they would save a lot of money and build loyal customers.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There’s no way it’s just mad people on a forum and not Ford. Look at what consumer reports just showed and how low Ford has fallen.

in my opinion,
At least Farley has admitted it and Gave his word Quality is a priority on his list. But you have to give the man a chance. He started out stepping in a pile and before the man had a chance to sit down and wipe it off pandemic hit. Full attention on just keeping Ford alive. Coming out of that and promising quality is a top issue......
Very good start in my book.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze