Expedition takes on Goldmine hill

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

New TFL vid of expy off roading.

Couple things to note:
-The IRS on these trucks hurts them off road as shown here, poor articulation compared to a solid rear axle (some credit to GM here)
-The 4th gen seems to have less articulation than previous gens (gen 2 having the most) plus it’s slightly longer. This improves on road handling but impedes off road handling.
-Limited slip overheated and disabled itself
-Ford should probably put on some more aggressive tires
-Nice skid plate layout underneath
-Electronic Limited Slip is a nice plus
-Stock painted rims fit the truck nicely both in size and look for off road functionality
-Again, better tires would help!!

At the end of the day it’s a big vehicle, not a bad job but not great. He didn’t make it up stage 3. I think Andre was kind of being a baby because it’s a new truck, could have gotten through that with open diffs with a skilled driver despite the differential slip disabling here. A lot is the drivers skill.....I remember Roman couldn’t get the Raptor up this in the deep snow and then his son got right up with a 1985 Chevy work truck with 2 open diffs and manual hub locks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

benyl

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It’s a locker. It has a locking button.

From the 2018 owners manual.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...&div=f&vFilteringEnabled=False&userMarket=USA

LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL

The Electronic Limited Slip Differential (eLSD) system directs torque, enabling the vehicle to drive over terrain and road conditions that a conventional axle cannot. The system is active at all times and requires no input from the driver.
Note: If your vehicle is not at optimal operating conditions or a system fault is present, a warning may be displayed in the instrument cluster. Depending on the warning, your vehicle may need to be serviced. For more information regarding the system information messages,See Information Messages.

Locking Function
The lock button engages ‘locker mode’.
With the locker engaged, the system electronically locks the differential causing both half shafts to turn at the same rate. This increases traction during off road events.
The locker mode may automatically disengage based on certain conditions such as vehicle speed. When engaged, a telltale in the instrument cluster will illuminate amber and the switch button will be illuminated. When the speed is exceeded the telltale will turn gray, the locker will be disengaged and be in standby mode until the speed conditions are met. If the eLSD system is faulted and the locker cannot engage, a warning message will be displayed in the instrument cluster and the switch button will flash.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s a locker. It has a locking button.

From the 2018 owners manual.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...&div=f&vFilteringEnabled=False&userMarket=USA

LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL

The Electronic Limited Slip Differential (eLSD) system directs torque, enabling the vehicle to drive over terrain and road conditions that a conventional axle cannot. The system is active at all times and requires no input from the driver.
Note: If your vehicle is not at optimal operating conditions or a system fault is present, a warning may be displayed in the instrument cluster. Depending on the warning, your vehicle may need to be serviced. For more information regarding the system information messages,See Information Messages.

Locking Function
The lock button engages ‘locker mode’.
With the locker engaged, the system electronically locks the differential causing both half shafts to turn at the same rate. This increases traction during off road events.
The locker mode may automatically disengage based on certain conditions such as vehicle speed. When engaged, a telltale in the instrument cluster will illuminate amber and the switch button will be illuminated. When the speed is exceeded the telltale will turn gray, the locker will be disengaged and be in standby mode until the speed conditions are met. If the eLSD system is faulted and the locker cannot engage, a warning message will be displayed in the instrument cluster and the switch button will flash.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good explanation thanks for link! It appears it has a “locker mode” that simulates a locker, but still not the same conventional electronic locking diff used in the pickups. Nice nonetheless.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only found 2 other comparable vids on the Armada and Durango. The Armada cleared all stages with ease, the Durango also stopped at stage 3

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think the tires are a huge inhibiting factor.
Still not horrible for the size of the vehicle.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And I'm sure the genius was running street pressures too. Everyone airs down when doing real 4wheeling.
Yeah, they specifically stated they aired down the tires on the ZR2 for the video also on the home page. But they didn’t on the Expedition because if they had the TPMS idiot light would’ve been on.

rumline

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yawn. Everybody knows tires (including pressure) and driver skill are the two biggest factors for offroading. Street all season tires and street pressure plus not wanting to push it too hard = failure.

I mean I guess it could make sense to test it "as equipped" but then they shouldn't be airing down tires on any vehicle and they should make that disclaimer "bone stock" or something like that. Then again, testing in a manner that nobody drives these things isn't very useful.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yawn. Everybody knows tires (including pressure) and driver skill are the two biggest factors for offroading. Street all season tires and street pressure plus not wanting to push it too hard = failure.

I mean I guess it could make sense to test it "as equipped" but then they shouldn't be airing down tires on any vehicle and they should make that disclaimer "bone stock" or something like that. Then again, testing in a manner that nobody drives these things isn't very useful.

Thank you for summing up my opinions on this. I’d have loved to see the Expy bound up that hill like a gazelle, but that’s not really what this thing does...it’s 17.5 feet long! Sure, I expect the Expy to handle some light off-roading, and I think it’s success in stages 1 and 2 of that video show it’s ability to do so, but no one should be buying these things expecting to enter a bouldering competition.

It’d be like making a video to see how well a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon does hauling 7 people, their stuff, and an 8000 pound boat...all while massaging my butt.