Expedition Tires for Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fred Moore

Reaction score
My 2017 King Ranch has pretty standard 275-55 R20 Goodyear Eagle tires. I have no complaints with them.

I pull a 6000 lb + 28' travel trailer with no difficulty, but as I near the time to replace my tires, I wonder if the new tires should have a greater Load Index.

My Goodyear Eagle LS-2 tires have a load index of 111 (2403 lbs), however Goodyearalso has the Eagle Sport all-season with a load index of 117 (2833 lbs).

Any wisdom here? is the additional loading capacity worth the extra $$? Is there a hit to ride comfort?

I appreciate your opinions.

BTW--The trailer is connected by a rather expensive Reece Dual Cam Weight Distribution hitch with Anti-sway control.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you have a lot of tongue weight I would go with the LT tires which use more air pressure and much heavier duty but ride a little rougher in the rear. If I was towing I would go with the LT; stiffer, stronger, etc.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
How often do you tow?

I've been towing my 6000-ish pound travel trailer for years with both my '07 and '17 Expeditions with the OE or similar P-metric tires. No issues whatsoever. No need for LT tires for me. The tires on the truck are not the weak point anyway, it's the suspension, so tires capable of more weight won't add capacity or headroom.

-- Chuck

OP
OP
Fred Moore

Fred Moore

Reaction score

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
The P-Metric tires that came with my Expedition have a capacity of ~2600 pounds each or 5200 pounds per axle yet the RAWR (rear axle weight rating) is only 4300 pounds a difference of 900 pounds. LT tires can increase the tire-axle capability to ~6800 pounds but the axle rating remains 4300.

Suspension? Springs? Axle? Clearly it's not tires and if it's the suspension or axle just adding stiffer springs may not change it either..

-- Chuck

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Agreed but running the rears up to say 45psi works fine for weekend towing.

-- Chuck
It's not the same, LT tires are at their strongest at 80 psi and have more stiffness at 60+- lbs which is what you need for towing. Plus you can get them in E rating which almost eliminates fear of blowouts. Lots of money back there, do it right.