Expedition Tires for Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I've been trying to figure out what rating my Michelan MTX tires are? It doesn't seem to say "P" rated or anything like that anywhere. I'm assuming because their max inflation is 42psi that is what they are?

View attachment 34426

View attachment 34427

View attachment 34428

Your Defender LTX say the same thing on Michelin’s website as my LTX M/S2 tires....I believe they are both P rated tires. For 20” wheels they only offer the Defender, for 18” wheels they only offer the M/S2.
46CC7393-B2D7-49F5-B3CC-3AC0A8121BAC.png
58C12F5D-3D7B-4149-B9ED-F3B03D42A948.png

Last edited:

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Defender LTX tires are light truck tires.

I don't see the max pressure notation on the tires but my eyes ain't that good.

-- Chuck

Says 44psi , 2535lbs.

I would say I've got about 50%-60% life left on the tires. But after reading here and around I'm giving serious consideration to upgrading my tires. I do a lot of heavy towing, most of the time at the Expys cargo limit. I use WDH and pack smartly, but I think some LT tires might be a better option.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They probably name them LTx to throw you off. If they don't have the LT before the numbers they aren't LT tires.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you tow heavy a lot LT tires won’t hurt when it comes time to swap them out

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Says 44psi , 2535lbs.

I would say I've got about 50%-60% life left on the tires. But after reading here and around I'm giving serious consideration to upgrading my tires. I do a lot of heavy towing, most of the time at the Expys cargo limit. I use WDH and pack smartly, but I think some LT tires might be a better option.
Let us know the difference if you do.

OP
OP
Fred Moore

Fred Moore

Reaction score
Lots of opinions. Since I always do what I can to avoid problems, I'll probably do as some recommend and upgrade to a tire with a greater load index, perhaps sacrificing a bit in ride comfort.

Geeee......I can go faster too! Joy of joys. Alas...When towing, I limit my speed to 65 ish.

CaptOchs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I liked my Goodyear Trailrunners. They had the higher weight rating. The tread was a mix of a highway tire and an offroad tire. I did run 50 psi in the rears while towing per RV dealership's recommendation. You have a 20" rim, so maybe that might not be necessary. During the off season they were great in the snow. Far better than other vehicle I have ever driven on in the snow. On my 2003, the weak link was the original shocks. I had a similar setup; 2003 XLT with a 2018 Springdale 270le. 7000# empty, 32ft, Reese Dual-Cam WDH.

Eric Mowrer

Reaction score
The Michelin LTX M/S LT275/65R18 tires on my 2013 ran 110k miles and still had some life left. Expedition definitely towed better with the LT tires.

I’ve had 4 Expeds since 2000 and all of them had the P series tires replaced with LT. No problem.

wstcoaster07

Reaction score
I tow a 32' TT with a 875# tounge weight and while it towed fine with P rated tires, my Michelin LT tires I put on at 55k miles tow better with a stiffer towing feel. I wouldn't pull off P rated tires with 50% life left, but I would go from P to LT if I had less than 20% of life left and was about to get in to camping season (which is about when I did mine)