Expedition too big for daily?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brettmag

Reaction score
Do you ever feel the Expedition is too big for daily use? Ever wish you had a midsize SUV like an Audi Q7?

I’m on the fence between those two. We have three kids and our other vehicle is a 2020 Highlander which is borderline okay for road trips with everyone and everything.

Would appreciate your thoughts!

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you ever feel the Expedition is too big for daily use? Ever wish you had a midsize SUV like an Audi Q7?

I’m on the fence between those two. We have three kids and our other vehicle is a 2020 Highlander which is borderline okay for road trips with everyone and everything.

Would appreciate your thoughts!
It also depends on your other uses and preferences. It can feel big in certain situations. Honestly, I feel like I can fit more luggage behind the 3rd row of my Odyssey than my max. A mini van is a great option for a road trip vehicle. It is also great for tight spaces. If you need the extra 300 lbs of cargo capacity or extra 6000 lbs in towing, go with a large SUV.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What wakeboarder said. Do you need/want to tow anything? Do you need/want something capable of light off-road duty? If yes to either of those questions, get an Expedition. When I have to commute in traffic or park in tight parking garages, my Expedition is way too big compared to my Bolt. Loaded for camping with our travel trailer, I can see the advantages of an F-250 or Excursion…

Zig10

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The only place it feels unwieldy to me is in a city parking garage. Other than that, the Expy Max we have does just fine wherever we go. It's a little more manageable than out previous Yukon XL was, and it's shorter than my pickup, so it currently qualifies as our "small" vehicle.

Gas mileage would be nicer in a midsize, though.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Depends where you live. If you hardly ever see a town or city, it’s not big at all. If you live in or regularly go to built up urban areas where the attempt is to cram as much in as possible, then it can be a bit nerve wracking.

But, it’s all about how you feel about it. If a compact suv does what you need, and doesn’t feel ‘big’ then I don’t think there are any down sides to that.

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I live in a mostly rural area and regularly need to tow and haul things. I don't find it too large at all and actually wouldn't mind if it were a bit larger, like an Excursion. I also frequently drive in cities and have never found it to be too large.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With a Max, my only issue is head-in parking in perpendicular spots and being centered between the lines on first attempt. For the reason, and because I hate parking lot door dings, I try to park at the far ends of the aisles if there's spaces there. If not, and I have to park in an open space, backing in using the reverse camera and mirrors is my choice, which also makes leaving all the more easier. In some parking lots, just getting a parking space has become a competitive sport no matter what you drive.