Expedition too big for daily?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pawpaw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You sell it or trade it in the for Expedition?

We lost our fifth wheel camper during Hurricane Ida and had no plans for another large camper. Contractor working on my house offered me what I paid for it 4-1/2 yrs prior. Only 35K miles on it. Bought the new Expedition cash since he paid me enough to do so! New ride and no note. I had just paid off the dually too!!

OP
OP
B

brettmag

Reaction score
The title of the article indicates "daily driver" as the primary use, which to me means going back and forth to work. Shopping at any distance from the house is more of a once a week event. My daily driver is a 94 Ranger with 350,000 miles on it. A daily driver to me is the vehicle you choose to wear out the quickest, as you drive it every day. Neither comfort nor power are considered by me, as it is a daily driver and meant for nothing except simple transportation. Fuel economy is considered, as well as the cost of wear and eventual replacement of the vehicle. Not to mention I can replace my entire Ranger front end for about $200 after a deer collision, which occur on a somewhat regular basis at night in West Texas. My Expy is for longer trips or shopping trips where comfort and capacity is needed. I have no issues with my Expy in city conditions. If a person is intimidated by the size, perhaps they should consider something smaller and accept the lowered amount of cargo or passenger space. I apologize for the rant, but what most people here seem to be describing, is not "daily driver" vehicle usage. Daily driver is your beater vehicle.
I'm making my daily driver my only vehicle. I'm not going to have a beater that I don't enjoy driving.

NoSoExpedition

Reaction score
I'm making my daily driver my only vehicle. I'm not going to have a beater that I don't enjoy driving.
I'd agree. The definition of daily driver doesn't equate to beater. It needs to be a vehicle that works for you to get your daily tasks done. I have to take three kids to daycare and head into an office everyday. My daily needs to be able to fit all of us plus be reliable.

With that said, I had an Edge before the Expedition when we only had one kid. When I traded up to the Expedition, I didn't miss the Edge. It's a little wider so you need to watch tight parking spaces, but not awful. I drive the Expedition 4 days a week, and then we also have a crew cab F150 that I'll drive 1 day just to help keep miles spread across more than one vehicle. The Expedition may have been an easy transition being used to the F150 though. It is a much tighter turn radius, which definitely helps. It's also shorter too, but not by much.

I did consider an Explorer as well when upgrading, but the regular cargo space I use for the stuff that goes into having 3 young kids wouldn't work that way.

OP
OP
B

brettmag

Reaction score
I'd agree. The definition of daily driver doesn't equate to beater. It needs to be a vehicle that works for you to get your daily tasks done. I have to take three kids to daycare and head into an office everyday. My daily needs to be able to fit all of us plus be reliable.

With that said, I had an Edge before the Expedition when we only had one kid. When I traded up to the Expedition, I didn't miss the Edge. It's a little wider so you need to watch tight parking spaces, but not awful. I drive the Expedition 4 days a week, and then we also have a crew cab F150 that I'll drive 1 day just to help keep miles spread across more than one vehicle. The Expedition may have been an easy transition being used to the F150 though. It is a much tighter turn radius, which definitely helps. It's also shorter too, but not by much.

I did consider an Explorer as well when upgrading, but the regular cargo space I use for the stuff that goes into having 3 young kids wouldn't work that way.
Great comment! Thanks. I also have three kids.

ROBERT BONNER

Full Access Members
Reaction score
True story from 2004:

I worked for Ford at the time. I had been driving company Expeditions, F150's and Explorers for years. I was helping to extend the production of the Excursion (think Expedition MAX +1800 lbs.) at the time and wanted to drive one for a year, at the same time that I was driving a 2004 Jaguar XJR; but, I wasn't sure what my 5' 1" wife with a 1 year old would think of it. So, I brought one home one night to let her test drive it. She looked apprehensive, saying, "These things are really big", as I handed her the keys and asked her to take the V10 powered 4x4 monster around the block to see what she thought about it. And I waited...and waited. 25 minutes later she wheeled it back into the driveway and jumped out with a huge smile and said, "I've got to have one of these!". She went on to describe how on I275 the sea of cars parted as she blasted through. How everyone gave her way more respect than she normally got on the road. So, I signed up for one. During the year we had that Excursion, my wife and I did rock/paper/scissors every morning to see who got to drive the Excursion rather than the beautiful $95K 390 HP aluminum Jag sedan. Seriously. The Excursion was just the better choice for the harsh streets of the Detroit Metropolitan area.

While a gen 4 Expedition Max is not the same as an Excursion...it's as close as you can get in the market today. When I'm driving my GT500 I am constantly having people make lane changes into me, or doing other stupid stuff because they simply don't see the car. That never happens when I'm driving the MAX...They feel me as much as see me. That is what a Daily Driver is all about in a country where most drivers are more interested in who tweeted what instead of shoulder checking before making a lane change. You want something that exists in their peripheral vision, something they aren't going to ignore or lose track of.

Just saying.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
True story from 2004:

I worked for Ford at the time. I had been driving company Expeditions, F150's and Explorers for years. I was helping to extend the production of the Excursion (think Expedition MAX +1800 lbs.) at the time and wanted to drive one for a year, at the same time that I was driving a 2004 Jaguar XJR; but, I wasn't sure what my 5' 1" wife with a 1 year old would think of it. So, I brought one home one night to let her test drive it. She looked apprehensive, saying, "These things are really big", as I handed her the keys and asked her to take the V10 powered 4x4 monster around the block to see what she thought about it. And I waited...and waited. 25 minutes later she wheeled it back into the driveway and jumped out with a huge smile and said, "I've got to have one of these!". She went on to describe how on I275 the sea of cars parted as she blasted through. How everyone gave her way more respect than she normally got on the road. So, I signed up for one. During the year we had that Excursion, my wife and I did rock/paper/scissors every morning to see who got to drive the Excursion rather than the beautiful $95K 390 HP aluminum Jag sedan. Seriously. The Excursion was just the better choice for the harsh streets of the Detroit Metropolitan area.

While a gen 4 Expedition Max is not the same as an Excursion...it's as close as you can get in the market today. When I'm driving my GT500 I am constantly having people make lane changes into me, or doing other stupid stuff because they simply don't see the car. That never happens when I'm driving the MAX...They feel me as much as see me. That is what a Daily Driver is all about in a country where most drivers are more interested in who tweeted what instead of shoulder checking before making a lane change. You want something that exists in their peripheral vision, something they aren't going to ignore or lose track of.

Just saying.
I was always hoping Ford would add to the lineup of names, Explorer, Expedition, Excursion; the new Ford "Inquisition". But clearly your wife's experience shows that the Excursion packs all the traffic intimidation that is required.

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Interestingly enough, low mileage Excursions are still selling for good money. I certainly wouldn't mind having one. Or better yet an HD version of the Expedition.

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Interestingly enough, low mileage Excursions are still selling for good money. I certainly wouldn't mind having one. Or better yet an HD version of the Expedition.

They discontinued the max tow package (HDPP) on the F150s there’s not a snowballs chance in hell that ford would offer a heavy duty payload/trailer tow capacity option for the current expedition generation.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I initially regretted the EL for this reason, but grew to love it within a few months. The only thing I personally feel it's too big for is city driving. It's hard enough darting between cars in traffic and finding a parking space in my wife's sedan. The EL just complicates those issues even further.

CDNRabbit

Reaction score
The sport performance package gives the Expy better pickup than most cars. It's a huge help to dart around traffic.