Expedition Vibrates like an unbalanced wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What?? Death Wobble..Can you elaborate. I can do the above. Would a four wheel alignment solve this? It is just a shimmy shake nothing vigorous but annoying and only at 60+ or higher speeds. Elaborate if you could as the name death wobble implies imminent disaster...lol
Look it up on youtube...

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What?? Death Wobble..Can you elaborate. I can do the above. Would a four wheel alignment solve this? It is just a shimmy shake nothing vigorous but annoying and only at 60+ or higher speeds. Elaborate if you could as the name death wobble implies imminent disaster...lol

Death Wobble is a self-amplifying all-body truck vibration at certain speeds in some vehicles....mostly old F250s iirc.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
I had similar vibration at 70mph felt in my seat and steering wheel.

Went to dealer for Road Force balance- no change.

Went to indy tire shop/ mechanic- told I had bent wheel. Tiny improvement but vibration still there.

Note I drive 500-1000mi week 95% highway at 70mph-80mph.

Finally took it to a 4x4 lift kit / wheel specialty shop.

Friggin perfect.

catmandu

Reaction score
A strange vibration on my 2000 turned out to be a front drive shaft installed backwards, FYI.

postwick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I am back. I went ahead and wrote the check (urgh...) and had some much needed work I was going to do on my own but it is too cold in Ohio. I had all control arms replaced and the drive side upper and lower replaced plus a very worn knuckle in the rear. Had the CV pulled and inspected and then differential fluid replaced. Then had a front end alignment and all tires rebalanced. There was no sign of wear in the CV and the all the other components replaced really makes for a stable ride. Much quieter too. But I STILL have that annoying wiggle at 65+mph. I feel it in the seat not the steering wheel and it feels like I am sitting on a cheap vibrating message pad. The mechanic is ford certified who I know very well and trust and I got to see the before and after.

I am stumped. I have less than a year old replacement struts and shocks (done before the wiggle started). Now where do I go from hear. The rims are even less than two years old (purchased new). What is left? Out of round rim, separated tire belt?

Is your rear drive shaft rusty and out of balance? Those U joints worn out?

SEPTIC PROFESSOR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
mindlessly simple known issue that wastes thousands of dollars on worthless crap 'let's just replace everything.' 99.97% of the readership 'takes it in' and trusts some moron wearing the cheapest
walmart sneakers driving the worst non-Ford beat up pile of crap's little pajama boy mind instead of
fastidiously researching it by himself. Americans are famous for outsourcing thinking to morons.

Lorlainie

Reaction score
I just had my 2010 in the shop. I too had a wiggle from the rear (at 30mph). Found out one of my rear tires has a bubble and the tread is separating. Gonna replace that tire. Good luck!

TwinJugs

Reaction score
mindlessly simple known issue that wastes thousands of dollars on worthless crap 'let's just replace everything.' 99.97% of the readership 'takes it in' and trusts some moron wearing the cheapest
walmart sneakers driving the worst non-Ford beat up pile of crap's little pajama boy mind instead of
fastidiously researching it by himself. Americans are famous for outsourcing thinking to morons.
Although my sneakers come from Dollar General, would love for you to elaborate on the "mindlessly simple known issue".

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here is an issue that I cannot figure out. My 07 Ford Exp EL at speeds from 55-80 vibrates just like one wheel is out of balance. I have Bridgestone Tires that are fairly new (50% wear left). I have had three independent tires centers balance these tires some more than once and confirm they are in balance. I had factory rims that the lips were chewed up to a previous owner so I finally replaced with OEM rims. That made no difference as well. This vehicle used to ride smooth as butter at all speeds and now I wiggle down the road and it is irritating. No vibration in steering wheel but I can feel it in the seat.

Anyone have this issue in the past or suggestions.
Usually if you feel it under the seat it is from the rear or drive train. You gotta hit each thing in order, easiest first. If it is not the tires or the wheels, all are running true and it is only at 65 mph. Does the tire guy have a machine that goes beyond 65mph? Have them road force balanced if that fails. You can eliminate the tires by moving them around to the front and see if the vibration is felt in the steering wheel. You haven't mentioned whether it comes on gradually or whether or not you can accelerate beyond the vibration.