Expediton Vs. 23 Yukon Denali Ultimate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mdexp

Reaction score
Man that new 23 Yukon Denali Ultimate is insanely good looking and it has one mean grille! I sure wish that the Expedition had a grille that mean. I was seriously considering trading my new Expedition Platinum for the Yukon Denali Ultimate UNTIL I found out that the thing can only tow 7,800 lbs max. For GMC to always brag about being PROFESSIONAL GRADE, they sure are lacking! What all of your thoughts? I love that my Expedition kicks everyone else's butts at towing. Although if they did come out with the Excursion again then I'll be all over that!
My parents have a new denali and we have a 2022 expedition max limited stealth. I'll admit I kind of like the exterior on the denali a bit more, but there were a few things that pushed us to the expedition:
1) Rear seating - middle bucket seats move around a bit better for getting into the rear seats and the rear seats are more comfortable in our opinion (electronic reclining, a bit more roomy)
2) Transmission shift - personally I do not like the push button gear shifting in the yukon denali, I much prefer the rotating knob in the expedition
3) Screens - both are nice, but I really like the 15" sync 4a screen/infotainment setup in the expedition. A bit nicer overall to me

All of that said, I can't see being disappointed either way!

gural

Reaction score
i have one remark regarging denali
that seats are so stiff that after 3 hours of driving the whole back hurts

ROBERT BONNER

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If Ford would bring back the now 20+ year old air ride from the gen 2 Expeditions, they could compete head to head with Chevy/GMC. If they dropped The Raptor V8 in the Nav, They could go head to head with Cadilac. Just saying the silent part outloud.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If Ford would bring back the now 20+ year old air ride from the gen 2 Expeditions, they could compete head to head with Chevy/GMC. If they dropped The Raptor V8 in the Nav, They could go head to head with Cadilac. Just saying the silent part outloud.

Ford is selling everything it can build - with long-lead times, and order banks closed or limited (and various options limited or eliminated).

I can’t see Ford improving their SUV’s - as there is no need to make another product that they can’t build and deliver in a timely manner.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GM just announced a new 6th gen V8 engine for the half tons. I’d hold off on a GMC till I saw this new motor. They claim most horsepower and torque in the class out of an N/A V8 so I’m guessing it will be a hybrid system hooked up to a newer more powerful 6.2

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Figured I would chime in here. I just picked up a 2023 Sierra 1500 Denali 6.2L with Reserve package and standard box (not short box). A few things to note, the ride is better in the Denali than my Platinum. The seats in the Denali are short, I'm 6'3" and the cushion hits my legs mid-thigh. The Platinum's are far better. The 6.2L is still too new so the mileage is not very good. The EcoBoost will likely better the mileage I am thinking. I do also tow a 23ft wakeboat and the Expedition is just "ok". We shall see how the Denali handles it. The Denali interior noise is quieter than the Platinum. Window sticker on my Denali is $94k. I realize it isn't a Yukon or an Ultimate, but the main differences between my Denali and the Ultimate are, upgraded speaker system, upgraded leather and a few small cosmetic touches inside. Different grille and 22-inch rims outside. I feel the tech in the Denali is above the Ford. Google has a deep integration in their head unit and while some may not prefer Google to latch on like this, I feel the system works quite good, doesn't lag.

Anyway....AMA if ya'll want.

Squark

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Figured I would chime in here. I just picked up a 2023 Sierra 1500 Denali 6.2L with Reserve package and standard box (not short box). A few things to note, the ride is better in the Denali than my Platinum. The seats in the Denali are short, I'm 6'3" and the cushion hits my legs mid-thigh. The Platinum's are far better. The 6.2L is still too new so the mileage is not very good. The EcoBoost will likely better the mileage I am thinking. I do also tow a 23ft wakeboat and the Expedition is just "ok". We shall see how the Denali handles it. The Denali interior noise is quieter than the Platinum. Window sticker on my Denali is $94k. I realize it isn't a Yukon or an Ultimate, but the main differences between my Denali and the Ultimate are, upgraded speaker system, upgraded leather and a few small cosmetic touches inside. Different grille and 22-inch rims outside. I feel the tech in the Denali is above the Ford. Google has a deep integration in their head unit and while some may not prefer Google to latch on like this, I feel the system works quite good, doesn't lag.

Anyway....AMA if ya'll want.
I traded my 2018 Expedition Max Limited for a 2023 Yukon XL Denali Reserve last week. Your experience with the Sierra is very close to mine with the Yukon. Overall it's an impressive package. The gas mileage on the 6.2L is terrible so far, but hopefully it'll improve after breaking in. I got ~16mpg around town in the Expy and am getting about 13mpg in the Yukon. I have the air suspension with magnetic dampers, and it's a huge upgrade from the base suspension I had on the Expedition. I haven't towed our travel trailer yet to see how it does. It's hard to compare apples-to-apples since I went from a Limited to a Denali (Platinum to Denali would be closer), but the Yukon is quieter and feels more solid. It has some neat tricks like a head-up display, camera rear-view mirror, sliding console, and Super Cruise. The Expedition had the tip-and-slide 2nd row seats that worked with car seats and latch anchors in the 3rd row, which are both missing on the Yukon. I loved my Expedition, but had so many issues that I decided to try GMC this time around. We'll see how it goes!

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We're going to see my parents next wk and there gonna come down to stay with us for a wk after. I'm looking fwd to taking the nav out for its first road trip with us, and I'll def be comparing it to his newer and more updated escalade.

For the ford suvs being 5 yrs old now, and working off a platform that's 8 yrs old, it's still so surprising how competitive the ford suvs are all things considered. From what I remember, I agree that the gms feel better put together, but they arent as comfortable to be in. Also, the engines at low speeds feel more lethargic. The gms do feel more poised on back roads though. I do wish ford atleast put air springs in the back like they did for the third gen, but all those ppl with gms and jeeps and toyotas with the air bags gonna be mad when they warranty goes out and and it cost 2k to replace one bags. Hell our armada had a bag go out the first wk we bought it in guam. 1200 to replace. Luckily for us, it didn't even have 50 extra miles on it so they replaced it free.

Last edited:

Polo08816

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford is selling everything it can build - with long-lead times, and order banks closed or limited (and various options limited or eliminated).

I can’t see Ford improving their SUV’s - as there is no need to make another product that they can’t build and deliver in a timely manner.

They need to be careful with that mentality. That's what allows additional competitors into that space and eventually decreases profit margins with increased competition.

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I traded my 2018 Expedition Max Limited for a 2023 Yukon XL Denali Reserve last week. Your experience with the Sierra is very close to mine with the Yukon. Overall it's an impressive package. The gas mileage on the 6.2L is terrible so far, but hopefully it'll improve after breaking in. I got ~16mpg around town in the Expy and am getting about 13mpg in the Yukon. I have the air suspension with magnetic dampers, and it's a huge upgrade from the base suspension I had on the Expedition. I haven't towed our travel trailer yet to see how it does. It's hard to compare apples-to-apples since I went from a Limited to a Denali (Platinum to Denali would be closer), but the Yukon is quieter and feels more solid. It has some neat tricks like a head-up display, camera rear-view mirror, sliding console, and Super Cruise. The Expedition had the tip-and-slide 2nd row seats that worked with car seats and latch anchors in the 3rd row, which are both missing on the Yukon. I loved my Expedition, but had so many issues that I decided to try GMC this time around. We'll see how it goes!
Interesting. Now on my Sierra Denali I don't have the air suspension but do have adaptive suspension. I don't have Super Cruise (this time) but will try to gun for it next time. FWIW, I do love the 2018+ Expeditions. But it's hard to not love the imposing beast of a front end that the Yukons (and to a slightly lesser extent the Sierra's have). A few things I felt could have been added to the Denali's are things like ambient lighting, pano roof instead of the std sliver of a moon roof, less plasticky centre console and included remote start via the app (instead of $150/ yr). I'm still getting used to the gear shifter in the Sierra, when I hop in the Expedition I think they may have executed that a bit better with the rotary dial. But perhaps I'm just clinging on to something lol. In the end, I got tired of sending thousands on the Expedition every 6 months to repair.