Experience towing with ecoboost?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tow a 28ft (bumper to tongue total length 25ft box) tracer air 250 trailer. It is very light but weighs in at 6200 pounds gross weight and I pull with full water tank most of the time. I live in Idaho and all our camping is in the mountains. 2 adults and 3 kids in the truck, crammed with firewood and all manner of camping gear, my 17 expy EL pulls it like it's not even back there. Even in the mountains, it's mind bogglingly fantastic.

I use a husky centerline TS wdh and have zero sag when properly hitched up with my 800-1000 pound bars. My tongue weight is right at 930 pounds with full water tank as measured by my DIY tongue weight scale (thanks YouTube). I too would like a slightly larger trailer as my kids get bigger but don't like the thought of adding 1200 pounds and 3ft more to do it. I don't think the rear suspension could take any more, the advertised dry tongue weight of my trailer is 498 pounds, yet in practice is 930. I don't know how anyone tows anything heavier if tongue weights are that different from dry numbers (I. E. Trailer I looked at last weekend said 620 pounds dry tongue weight, but probably 1k wet!)

DodgeRamAw06

Reaction score
Looks like I found the right thread. Currently I tow our Cherokee 28’ bunk house loaded at 7300lbs, 800lb tongue weight with a Ram 1500 Hemi, 8sp, 3.21.

Looking at a 2015-2017 EL limited with eco and 3.73 gears. Looks like the payload is a little better at 1600 but the 920 max hitch weight is concerning to me. Nice to see some real world experience here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is always the option of getting an aftermarket receiver from Torklift...

Geargambler

Reaction score
I recently towed a 24 ft enclosed trailer with a 2016 mustang in it down to the philly auto show. I can say that I'm really impressed with the way it towed. I dont think I had a the tongue weight adjusted correctly - there was some sway on the way down there. On the way back I could hardly tell that the trailer was even there (4k for the trailer unloaded).

I am eager to get a tuning device for the towing.

ynpmoose

Reaction score
I had an 03 Excursion with the 6.0L diesel. Now a 16 Expedition EL 3.5l . Towing a 4800dry/7000max TT, the Expy has just as much pulling power though the PA mountains. Downshift/engine braking was better on the diesel, because it's a diesel. Gas mileage while towing is worse of course, because it's gas, but I don't tow that often. The bumper weight capability is obviously worse, since the Excursion was a leaf spring solid axle, but not as much difference as you would think. A good WD setup will fix that anyway.

Parkspremier

Reaction score
We just came back from a trip through the Catskills in NY. Some pretty steep grades and long hills. I couldn't be happier with our 2016 Expedition EL Limited. 3.73 gears, self leveling. Last year I pulled the same trailer up those hills with my 2009 Expedition with the 5.4L. On one hill we couldn't break 45 miles per hour without mashing it to the floor. This year with the Ecoboost engine, we cruised easily up those EXACT SAME HILLS at 60-65 without breaking a sweat. Probably didn't go much over 3,500rpm.

We bought this Expedition (it's our 3rd and by far the best) in the winter and I was worried that there was a lot of hype associated with the Ecoboost engine. I loved the acceleration of the EB, but this was the first time I could actually tow with it. I was extremely happy with how it towed on this trip. It went above and beyond what I was expecting. Also, if you have the opportunity, do not pass up the self-leveling (Nivomat) shocks. They work exactly as advertised. We start out with a little squat, and in a few miles we are running perfectly level.

Just for sake of comparison, we are pulling a 2013 Keystone Cougar 31 SQB. I estimate it tops out loaded at around 8,500-9,000 lbs. This truck pulls it EASILY!

The only downside is fuel mileage. Don't believe that hype. It's no better, and possible a little worse, than the 5.4L engine. But I would take the power and torque any day over the 1 mpg or so difference.

View attachment 11999
Seeing this gives me a lot more piece of mind towing my 25’ camp trailer

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have an EqUalizer E4 and couldn't be happier! Built in sway control too.