Expy for off-roading?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2007-2014 Expeditions all use the BorgWarner Torque on Demand (BW TOD) tranfer case system. ‘07-‘14 Expeditions TOD transfer case uses a specialized microprocessor (computer) in the transfer case that senses and can predict slippage before it occurs based on conditions monitored every millisecond in 4A mode. In 4A torque is variable and sent where needed via the cases brain. When you put it into 4H or 4L the transfer case computer locks it up 50/50 torque split front and rear with high or low range and no longer varies output. You have manually taken over its job and told it to lock everything up (needed in mud or rock crawling). This is good for severe conditions where slip can occur but on dry asphalt will result in binding of the driveline.

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've driven both the 1st Generation and the 3rd Generation trucks off road for work as a railroad trainmaster. I didn't own the trucks and they were considered emergency vehicles so I drove them wherever I needed to respond without too much consideration for their - er - well being.

I never got stuck with either truck in logging over 250,000 miles. I found the 1st Generation trucks much more nimble,responsive, a lot faster and more fun to drive off road. But both did the job wonderfully and other than flattening a dozen cheap government-bought tires, I never broke anything.

The only modifications on the trucks were Ford skid plates and the running boards removed.

Trainmaster, now that’s a cool job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amazing a junky ford product could do such cool stuff huh?

5323a3c42766ba56effc20091389e697.jpg

Again with the trolling??? You really are a piece of work. Dance for me

craig sargood

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OMG, again with these 2 *******. Act like men and fight or shut the **** up. Never seen 2 men argue like girls before. I’ll gladly blast you 2 in the face to end this. Please be local.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Trainmaster, now that’s a cool job.
An old-school job for an old railroad and mechanical buff who doesn't mind long hours...

Amazing a junky ford product could do such cool stuff huh?
The Fords handled it well. First Generation trucks were inexpensive with the SSV Package and the 5.4... The 3rd Generations had the SSV package with the running boards removed so you could hop over railroad rails... Carried 600 lbs of steel crap in the backs. I still hear it clamoring in my sleep.

Last edited:

craig sargood

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not at all girls, just don’t like wastes of life as time, both your moms definitely should have swallowed.