EXPY Tunes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi All
The thread I started regarding the 5 star software has gone completely off subject
Started this thread so we have a clean one to offer my experiences with their software
Loaded the 5 Star 93 octane performance/tow software & in NORMAL mode the throttle response is vastly improved. Trans shifts much better now & as far as I can tell no skipped shifts anymore. Before tune trans would jump from 1st to third to 5th & lug engine at light throttle. Mileage seems to be better as well. Have not tried to find an accurate way to measure 0-60 times etc yet.
So far pleased with the improvements
Has anyone else tried their software?:):)

Rotorhead451

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mighty quiet on this thread. I'll go on record as saying that I'm about 80% persuaded to try this. I have an appt at the dealer next Wednesday on lateral re-focusing my headlights, and possibly the "recall" on the ASS While there, I'll ask around about their protocols on Tuning

rumline

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It turns out that Bill Clinton came up with the perfect protocol, just for the wrong thing. "Don't ask, don't tell" perfectly describes what you should do regarding a tune and your dealer. Dealers are pretty bigoted when it comes to tunes; they just won't appreciate your point of view.

But seriously, don't ask them about it. Tuning your engine and/or transmission will absolutely give Ford grounds to deny warranty coverage for a powertrain-related issue. The thing is, they're not likely to discover it unless something goes catastrophically wrong where they need to go digging around in the computer. If you have a common issue that they've already published a service bulletin for, and your symptoms match it, they'll probably just do the fix and that'll be the end of it. If your tranny blows up because you've been riding it like a rented mule, lo siento señor.

Everybody has to make their own decision if the risk is worth it to them. But don't involve your dealer in the decision-making process.

Mike, I'm sorry to take your new thread off the rails slightly, but this is a common issue on every forum that just goes with tune discussions.

To get things back on topic I will likely tune mine whenever I save up the pennies to buy one. Staying tuned for feedback from others who have taken the plunge....

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It turns out that Bill Clinton came up with the perfect protocol, just for the wrong thing. "Don't ask, don't tell" perfectly describes what you should do regarding a tune and your dealer. Dealers are pretty bigoted when it comes to tunes; they just won't appreciate your point of view.

But seriously, don't ask them about it. Tuning your engine and/or transmission will absolutely give Ford grounds to deny warranty coverage for a powertrain-related issue. The thing is, they're not likely to discover it unless something goes catastrophically wrong where they need to go digging around in the computer. If you have a common issue that they've already published a service bulletin for, and your symptoms match it, they'll probably just do the fix and that'll be the end of it. If your tranny blows up because you've been riding it like a rented mule, lo siento señor.

Everybody has to make their own decision if the risk is worth it to them. But don't involve your dealer in the decision-making process.

Mike, I'm sorry to take your new thread off the rails slightly, but this is a common issue on every forum that just goes with tune discussions.

To get things back on topic I will likely tune mine whenever I save up the pennies to buy one. Staying tuned for feedback from others who have taken the plunge....

That is ok
At least we are not off subject in my opinion

5150 pops

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi All
The thread I started regarding the 5 star software has gone completely off subject
Started this thread so we have a clean one to offer my experiences with their software
Loaded the 5 Star 93 octane performance/tow software & in NORMAL mode the throttle response is vastly improved. Trans shifts much better now & as far as I can tell no skipped shifts anymore. Before tune trans would jump from 1st to third to 5th & lug engine at light throttle. Mileage seems to be better as well. Have not tried to find an accurate way to measure 0-60 times etc yet.
So far pleased with the improvements
Has anyone else tried their software?:):)

I have been tempted to do so, as they're relatively close to me. The problem I have is, they haven't published any before and after graphs of their tune on the expedition. Some fella named Tim told me to expect about a 40hp gain, when I inquired over the phone, which hp/$ is a bit WEAK IMO.

As far as repeatable testing, I have a simple OBDLink MX module I got off Amazon that does the trick. It can and does data logging on user defined parameters, AND has gauges that are user defined as well (INCLUDING THE ALMIGHTY BOOST), AND it also will also log...
60' ET
330'
1/8 MILE
1/4 MILE
0-60 as well as in 10 mph increments up to 100mph or beyond.

I'm fairly certain the "performance" datalog can be manipulated to log a whole lot more.

As far as octane goes...it's been well established that Ford's tuning strategy in the recent years has in fact included octane tuning as standard from the factory. The higher the octane pumped into the tank, the better the performance of the Ford vehicle. If you top off a 23 gallon tank of 87 octane with 4 gallons of 93 octane, no chance you will notice a difference. However, if you top off a tank of 87 octane which includes 10% ethanol, (that only has 50 miles to empty left) with 93 octane, and then repeat the exact same fill up the next two tanks, there will be little doubt left in your mind, that there is a noticeable difference in power, running 93 octane.

The main problem that can catch people off is if your "testing" this with your expy's intercooler already heatsoaked, you'll think to yourself I'm full of crap.
The intake air temp if warm will pull the timing that pcm added from the additional octane, so an accurate "test" would be comparing a cool morning 87 test, with a cool morning 93 test.

Last edited:

5150 pops

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That is ok
At least we are not off subject in my opinion

I'm not trying to sell anyone on the OBDLink MX, merely pointing out it is relatively inexpensive, for what can be done with it. As long as you have an Android phone. Not compatible with ANY Apple product, though it is Windows compatible so you can use your laptop with it, or notebook, etc. There's another company that sells something very similar to this but itsi a little over double thatthe cash, that works with IOS...

http://www.ot-2.com

All that being said, I bought mine originally, to have access to read and clear codes on all our vehicles. I am totally NOT saying that it is as accurate as a dynamometer, or timing lights at the dragstrip. I do hope, that it IS at least consistent in the calculations it does provide.

All things equally considered, if I conduct my little "off public highway sorties" at exactly the same area, time after time, with only one change, I suspect/expect the differences to be somewhat indicative of relative progress.Screenshot_20180829-075553.png

5150 pops

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The last pic (in the above prior post) was the first time after filling up with 93 octane, with zero ethanol, with about 2-3 gallons of 87octane with the common 10% ethanol.
The following is after a couple of refuels also 93 octane, with zero ethanol. Note that each of these were done at exactly the same spot, in sport mode, auto start stop off, traction control off, 4wd auto, letting the tranny shift on it's own, not loading the tranny via the brake, and around 5 miles after a dead cold start, with stop and go traffic early in the morning to get to my "spot".

Obviously the hp and tq figures (note where the peak are shown via red arrow indicators) are crank or flywheel computed. The max boost is also interesting, as I've read there is a momentary "over boost" built into the programming for Sport mode of 2-3 lbs for about 10 seconds or so.
If there were 20pounds available all the time, I'd be happy happy happy, to say the least.

IMG_20180823_172200632_HDR.jpg

Screenshot_20180831-171525.png

Screenshot_20180831-062330.png

Screenshot_20180831-062308.png

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In my day, when you bolted on horsepower, $20.00 to $30.00 per horsepower was the ratio you shot for. Keep in mind that was you bolting up your own parts, cams, heads, pistons, etc. Nowadays 50 hp is at least that $30.00 ratio. Like my old friend Happy Harold said on the placque of his garage, it costs money to go fast, how many dollars worth do you want?

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

5150 pops

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also want to mention...look at the 1000ft marks, more than the 1/4 mile. Reason being, I have no idea where exactly the 1320 foot mark is, from where I start. In all likelihood, I'm already coasting by the time I've passed the 1320 mark, to not draw unwanted attention to myself. I need to take this thing to the dragstrip to find out without any doubt, how quick this party bus is, or is not, before I start swapping parts.