Extended warranty, waste of money or worth it, 2017?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shell waster

Reaction score
We have 33000 miles on our 2017 limited EL. Bought in Sept 2017. From my understanding we have to 36000 miles or Sept to buy an extended warranty. When we were buying the dealer pushed hard to buy their warranty which wasn't a Ford factory, so after market, we said no.

Most of what I have read said extended warranties aren't worth the money. The expedition is our secondary vehicle so we only use for longer trips and hauling ski gear etc. I might be changing jobs so could be commuting more, but that's what the commuter car is for.

Read 1 in 8 get there money out of an extended warranty

barrydu4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I always but the extended warranties. They have paid for themselves in the past. I know it's a gamble, but I feel it's worth it. I also pay for the extended warranty in cash and do not put it in the loan.

Plati

Reaction score
I'm against any type of insurance except catastrophic (homeowners, medical, umbrella) BUT the new vehicles are so full of electronic crap and turbo's and stuff that is expensive and very tricky to fix that ... might be a good idea these days unless you are a Master Mechanic

I bought a pack of pencils at Staples last week and they tried to sell me insurance on them

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can you fix it yourself? Can you afford to fix any item at any time that costs as much as the warranty? If answer to either is no then it's likely worth the gamble. How I justify it or not in most cases.

There is also the do you want to do it side of equation. Time=money to many people. If it takes you a week to work on some cplplicayes failure and it also costs you 2/3 of what the warranty would have been, how would you feel?

As stated above there is a lot of newer tech in the 3rd/4th gen EcoBoost trucks and not a huge number of higher mile ones out there to truly evaluate long term reliability. Repair costs are sky on on any of the major components and they are an electrical/computer/module driven wonderland with dozens of potential points of failure.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I doubt if it's worth the gamble since they make money on the insurance. I have never bought insurance on anything I didn't have to and never needed it. All the car insurance I ever bought was money gone since I have never used it EVER!

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
You can buy a Ford Corp warranty on-line from people like Lombard Ford anytime before 100,000 miles. I bought a four-year one for my 2010 Explorer with 98,000 miles. The powertrain warranty cost about $1300. I only bought it because the valve phasers were starting to make some funny noises and the tranny is whining. Figure it was a good bet and sure enough a front seal is leaking now. First time I've ever had a warranty on anything.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can buy a Ford Corp warranty on-line from people like Lombard Ford anytime before 100,000 miles. I bought a four-year one for my 2010 Explorer with 98,000 miles. The powertrain warranty cost about $1300. I only bought it because the valve phasers were starting to make some funny noises and the tranny is whining. Figure it was a good bet and sure enough a front seal is leaking now. First time I've ever had a warranty on anything.

+1. It's the same warranty and will almost certainly cost you far less than your local dealer.

With a Limited, I would buy it for certain. I had a lot of problems with electronics, power running boards, etc. on my limited. My warranty only lasted 24K miles and I had $16K worth of parts/labor done at the dealer during that time. Keep in mind you will often have to fight to get things done as the dealers don't like doing warranty work.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
+1. It's the same warranty and will almost certainly cost you far less than your local dealer.

With a Limited, I would buy it for certain. I had a lot of problems with electronics, power running boards, etc. on my limited. My warranty only lasted 24K miles and I had $16K worth of parts/labor done at the dealer during that time. Keep in mind you will often have to fight to get things done as the dealers don't like doing warranty work.

Where'd you even FIND 16 grand worth of work to do on a V8????

Jamo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought the mid level extended on my 2014 EL Ltd., which I bought 1.5 years ago with 81,000 miles. My warranty is 4 years or 36K, and with my mileage, I'll have the full 4 years. It cost me $1800, and has a $100 deductible with each or any visit for work. Nice thing is, you can pile up the work and it's still $100. I told them the next time you see this truck, it'll be on a flatbed.
My first time in for W work is next Monday, and I'm having a leaking strut replaced, pass side front window motor replaced, Rt rear link pin(? if I can read it right), and rt rear cu boot leaking grease.
We'll see how it goes, but I agree with the excessive electronics, I'm in for peace of mind if nothing else...