Exterior Door Trim

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CAThrooper

Reaction score
Anyone know how to replace the door trim just below the windows of a 2nd gen? All 4 of mine are bubbling/peeling-- would like to replace them but cant find anything on YouTube describing how to get the old ones off. Not even sure what the part is called so that makes it a little tough too...

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Window belt molding. I haven't removed them on my in laws 2003 yet but I believe they lift/pull off. You'll want a trim removal tool or a plastic panel tool. Where they meet the other trim piece be careful or you'll likely bend/break something. It's probably easiest to roll the windows down so you can see what's going on as you remove them.

My in laws have the chrome showing on 3 doors. I'm going to plastidip them and see how it holds up. It shouldn't be too hard to match the black and the finish. Only a few $ if I'm wrong. Theyll probably be pretty difficult to find a new set that or pricey, or both. I replaced the same type of molding on a buick a few years back and it was almost $300 for new ones.

OP
OP
CAThrooper

CAThrooper

Reaction score
sweet-- thanks for the insight and I like the plastidip idea. My Jake-ster is getting a few upgrades to his suspension in the near future but I don't want to spend $300 for cosmetic only! I'll do a little looking using the terminology you gave me and see what I can find. If I do get them removed in one piece I'll post some pics for reference on your '03 job

OP
OP
CAThrooper

CAThrooper

Reaction score
Well, I didn’t find any YouTube vids on how to remove and repair the window belt molding on this truck, but was able to get the jist of how to get it off via some other vehicle how-tos. Once I started I found out just how easy it is, at least on the front passenger door. One clip on at the rear side to pop out vertically and it slides right off. Once the whole thing is off removing the corroded metal trim piece was fairly easy and accomplished with a flat head screwdriver to loosen a small tab holding it in its track. Then it was just sanding down to clean metal in affected areas followed by priming and painting. First door is essentially done and will reinstall in the morning. Thinking of making a simple video to help others with it. I can’t believe I’ve lived with it this way for so many years. Glad to have found expedition forum and thanks to @Aspen03 for the initial response to get me started in the right direction

yockmyer

Reaction score
Please do the video, if possible! Would sure like to see how it's done.

OP
OP
CAThrooper

CAThrooper

Reaction score
So... finished up the passenger side front, rear, and drivers rear. I wish I could report that everything went as smoothly as the passenger front. The rears are much more involved, found I had to remove the door panel and moisture barrier in order to unbolt the window clamps and lower the window down into the bottom of the door. From there I was able to reach my fingers in the door to release the metal tabs along the length of the molding (Since the window goes all the way down in the front this could be accomplished without any addl disassembly). I made a small hook tool from a metal coat hanger to try to release them on the second rear door and was able to remove the part, but broke the plastic retention clip and deformed the molding slightly. Was able to fix it, but think for those of you who decide to do this to your truck, my advice is take the panel off so you use your finger to get at the interior part of the molding.
Once the molding is off the truck, disassembly of the metal trim is straight forward. The only trick is that there is a plastic endcap insert that is held in place by small indentations on the lower rail. Use a flat head screwdriver to straighten it out and the endcap and the metal trim slide right out. Then just lift the tab that holds the metal trim to the endcap and you’re free to do whatever work is needed on the trim.
In mine I sanded everything with 150grit sand paper, then coated with self etching primer spray, followed by successive coats of satin black paint. Debated between satin and flat- think the satin looks original, but flat would look cool too I think. Once dry I finish sanded with 600grit, one last coat of paint, then once dry, reassembled (remembering to recreate the indent that holds the endcap in place). Then just slip them back on the truck, starting at the side opposite the plastic clip. All three look great- have the last one ready for final sand and pant but didn’t get around to it tonight.

WRT the plastic clips- mine were brittle and I broke all but the first one. Attribute the first break on the rear passenger side to not really understaning what I was doing- man handled it and didn’t have to. Drivers side rear was attempting to use the homemade tool, and drivers front was simply weak and brittle, don’t think there was much I could do to prevent it. With that said, I found that a healthy dose of gorilla glue fixed two of them securely, and the third I actually drilled a small pilot and reconnected with a small screw (and my wife wonders why I never throw away extra hardware...!) bc the glue wasn’t secure. All worked well and the molding is securely back in place. Don’t know if they would survive another removal, but I hope it never comes to that!

At the end of the day I would still say this project is pretty easy- the hardest part was figuring out the puzzle and making extra work along the way by breaking clips, deforming parts, etc. Had I known before hand how to remove the door panels (lots of YouTube vids) and how to get the window out of the way (no vids, had to figure it out) I suspect I could have removed the moldings in about an hour or so and the rest would have been just sanding and painting. I tried to video it but it didn’t turn out well- too much I didn’t know ahead of time to give a reasonable how to. I hope this description is helpful for the next person who tries this, and perhaps he/she can create the vid. Any questions, don’t hesitate to shoot me a PM or reply on this thred

OP
OP
CAThrooper

CAThrooper

Reaction score
Didnt see Trainmasters reply in time, but I think it’s possible that the process described would work on Gen2. I didn’t try pulling forward to unseat the inside tabs. If that works it could be a way to avoid disassembly- someone else try it and share what you learn- mine are back to pretty and I’m not touching them again!

JonnyP

Reaction score
I've been wanting to refinish these trim pieces on my 04. It suffers from the same bubbling and peeling (spent the first 14 years of its life in the central Florida sun)

I'm hesitant to give this a whirl and break all of the pieces off. I had been thinking of just taping around the trim and doing some light sanding and painting. Maybe I'll take your tips CAThrooper and see if the PDF posted by Trainmaster applies