Exterior Handle Removal and Installation - 2018 XLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xerodecay

Reaction score
I wanted to share my experiences with what is seemingly an easy task - yet most of my time was spent hunting parts and trying to figure out how to remove the handle.

I bought my '18 XLT used and realized after I brought it home that the intelligent locks on the driver side (fwd/rear) were inop. Passenger side (fwd/rear) were operational. Expy was in for other servicing and I asked the dealership to take a look at the inop intelligent access handles. Technician troubleshoot the intelligent locks on the driver side via load testing. Module was good, but the handles were not.

They offered the following price break down:
Left Front (PN: JL1Z-7822405-BCPTM) @ $220.00
Left Rear (PN: JL1Z-7826605-BCPTM) @ $170.00
Paint to Match: $325.00
Technician to install: $872.00

I decided to replace it myself for $130.00.

I ordered the primed part for the Left Front. I have no idea why you can buy them pre-painted. However, when it arrived, I realized, the handle caps just pop off! I easily replaced the primed handle cap with my old painted one (savings: $325).

When replacing the handles, it is not necessary to remove the entire interior trim of the door....HOWEVER, do note the wire inside the door, that connects to and powers the capacitor module (inside the handle), is really short. There is almost no play and it can easily fall in between the door panels (where the window lives). This is what happened to me.

Removal of the interior door panel trim is quite easy. There is a guy, Paul who has a website I followed to remove the panels (for speaker replacement. Once removed, I was able to slide my hand into the vapor barrier and push the cable back out of the handle hole and connect the new handle.

When installing the rest of the handle, do not push hard otherwise the spring/lever with snap into a position that won't allow you to reinstall the handle. If this happens, a tool with a hook is very useful. Loosen the nut on the side of the door while pulling the lever until it snaps into its forward position. Place the door handle back into the slot (do not press) and start tightening. That little lever will slide in-between the hole that is on the handle. This is what gives the handle that heavy spring back motion.

Once the handle was back in place, I reconnected the door panel and electronics (but did not fully reinstall) and tested out the new handle - and it worked as intended.

Secured the door panel back to the door frame and did a full op-check on the door, both inside and outside. It was during this time something curious happened....the left rear handle which was also INOP originally, was now working (saved $170.00) I am not quite sure why except there may have been a short or they wire these things in series...I don't have the schematics so I can't really say.

After everything was buttoned up, I popped the plastic trim cover (that was in primer gray) and placed my painted cap on ($325 savings). Everything op-checked good.

In all it probably took me about 1.5hrs to complete, though, if I had to do it again, it would take me about 30min. The joys of experience.

Again, I really wanted to share this because of the ridiculous fees associated with the dealership, the frustration I had in researching my parts and, the actual ease of repair. I hope if anyone is having issues with their door handles this can be helpful to them.