Extra Fuel Storage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Squark

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've been thinking about a propride. It worth that crazy high cost? Of course its better than nothing, we use an e2. Is it worth it over that?
I had a Blue Ox SwayPro before the ProPride. My biggest complaint was getting sucked towards semi trucks as they passed. The ProPride definitely helped with that. I still feel them, but I'm no longer white-knuckled. But even with the ProPride I have to fight crosswinds. I never feel like I'm going to get blown out of my lane, but it requires constant focus to counter the wind. I'm hoping stiffer tires will help some, but I realize there's only so much I can do with the huge forces at play. I'd move to a 3/4 ton truck, but my wife doesn't want to lose the third row with 3 kids (I drive while she keeps the kids from strangling each other :) ).

To me the ProPride is worth the money for the extra safety, but it is ridiculously expensive. It's noticeably better than the SwapPro, but not 4x better as the price would indicate. But I'm pushing the limits of the Expy and will spend extra to get as much of a safety margin as I can.

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
F150 = solid rear axle, leaf springs

Expedition = independent rear suspension, coil springs

There's a lot more to it than just ratings.

If you crash and burn, don't say we didn't warn you lol.

OP
OP
S

Soupflakes

Reaction score
F150 = solid rear axle, leaf springs

Expedition = independent rear suspension, coil springs

There's a lot more to it than just ratings.

If you crash and burn, don't say we didn't warn you lol.
F150s are going to coilovers. Actually help to keep the rear tires independently planted to the road. Don't worry. It's not a guy with a class A cdl with tanker and doubles and triples endorsements that runs 80,000 lb rigs up and down mountains you have to warn about towing...

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fuel economy is likely to be similar: both engines are running closer to their most efficient operating point so you are looking at pure physics.

As far as a tank goes, you are looking at a custom fabrication, and installation, as noted.

mwl001

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've been thinking about a propride. It worth that crazy high cost? Of course its better than nothing, we use an e2. Is it worth it over that?
I don’t own one but based on my research they only make sense if nothing else will control your sway (basically your tow vehicle is too short and too light). So all that money will probably save you from upgrading your tow vehicle or downsizing your trailer. A well-matched trailer size will be well controlled by all the reputable weight distribution systems available.

MHay

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a Blue Ox SwayPro before the ProPride. My biggest complaint was getting sucked towards semi trucks as they passed. The ProPride definitely helped with that. I still feel them, but I'm no longer white-knuckled. But even with the ProPride I have to fight crosswinds. I never feel like I'm going to get blown out of my lane, but it requires constant focus to counter the wind. I'm hoping stiffer tires will help some, but I realize there's only so much I can do with the huge forces at play. I'd move to a 3/4 ton truck, but my wife doesn't want to lose the third row with 3 kids (I drive while she keeps the kids from strangling each other :) ).

To me the ProPride is worth the money for the extra safety, but it is ridiculously expensive. It's noticeably better than the SwapPro, but not 4x better as the price would indicate. But I'm pushing the limits of the Expy and will spend extra to get as much of a safety margin as I can.
I have a similar setup as @Squark (7500 lb, 35 ft travel trailer) and the ProPride was a necessity for me. I added Sumhos and front and rear sway bars. Those helped a bit, but I was constantly getting sucked in by semis and blown around by the wind. I just upgraded to the ProPride before our trip through New England and it’s been a huge improvement over my Curt WDH anti-sway hitch. I still get pushed by the wind a bit, but it’s much more manageable now.

ColoradoJon

Reaction score
F150s are going to coilovers. Actually help to keep the rear tires independently planted to the road. Don't worry. It's not a guy with a class A cdl with tanker and doubles and triples endorsements that runs 80,000 lb rigs up and down mountains you have to warn about towing...
Looks like you haven't posted in a long while but I am curious if you ever figured anything out. My brother has the same occupation as you but in Alaska doing some of the most remote hauls in the world. Huge respect for the profession. How has towing been with your trailer?