Extracting Broken engine studs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marie

Reaction score
Thoughts on this, all correspondence with Covert has been via text message so I have proof. I dropped my 2011 Ford Expedition off at the Covert Ford Service center on 8/17/21. On 9/1/21 via text message I was told I needed both exhaust manifolds replaced and 2 broken bolts that need to be extracted, and a new gasket w/bolts and studs. I was told 2086.00 for the repair. I authorized it. Then on 9/16 I was told the extractor bit broke off in the engine head when they were trying to extract and the head would have to be taken off and machined to get the extractor bit and the 2 broken bolts out, 3656.64. I was never told by Covert that the extraction may not work and could result in a substantial increase for the repair. I was under the impression the extraction was a routine repair. Now Covert would like 1200.00 to put everything back as it was when I brought it in, doing no repairs. I was not able to make an informed decision on authorizing the repair because I was never told the extraction was risky and may not work. If I had all the information I would not have authorized.

Perpendicular

Reaction score
If they broke their tool in a job they agreed to do for a price, they should pay for the removal on top of the repair fees you agreed to. My opinion anyway.

You don't want them to put it back together prior to fixing it, they will likely not do a good job at it (disgruntled)

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thoughts on this, all correspondence with Covert has been via text message so I have proof. I dropped my 2011 Ford Expedition off at the Covert Ford Service center on 8/17/21. On 9/1/21 via text message I was told I needed both exhaust manifolds replaced and 2 broken bolts that need to be extracted, and a new gasket w/bolts and studs. I was told 2086.00 for the repair. I authorized it. Then on 9/16 I was told the extractor bit broke off in the engine head when they were trying to extract and the head would have to be taken off and machined to get the extractor bit and the 2 broken bolts out, 3656.64. I was never told by Covert that the extraction may not work and could result in a substantial increase for the repair. I was under the impression the extraction was a routine repair. Now Covert would like 1200.00 to put everything back as it was when I brought it in, doing no repairs. I was not able to make an informed decision on authorizing the repair because I was never told the extraction was risky and may not work. If I had all the information I would not have authorized.

The state I live in requires that the auto repair facilities not charge more than 10% of the original repair estimate, unless approved by the customer. They must complete the repair as stated for the price quoted (with no more than 10% added, excluding tax).

The law also requires that all parts replaced be returned to the customer, except fluids, items that are returned for a core, and warranty parts (unless the customer waives the returned parts).

You may want to do a check review of your state’s consumer laws regarding motor vehicle repair before you speak with the dealership employee again.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would go in, in person and talk to the service manager and not one of their commission hungry service writers that you're dealing with on your phone. There's no freakin way a customer should be responsible financially for a mechanic breaking his tool off in your motor, then trying to make you pay for fixing his errors. Take it to the state attorney's office if needed. They are on FB as well. Put your story on their FB page so other potential customers know what to expect.

OP
OP
M

Marie

Reaction score
I would go in, in person and talk to the service manager and not one of their commission hungry service writers that you're dealing with on your phone. There's no freakin way a customer should be responsible financially for a mechanic breaking his tool off in your motor, then trying to make you pay for fixing his errors. Take it to the state attorney's office if needed. They are on FB as well. Put your story on their FB page so other potential customers know what to expect.
Thank you for that advise, I just filed a complaint with the BBB and the Texas Attorney General

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They can still tack weld to the bolt with the broken off extractor….just as my shop did. They shouldn’t be pulling a head.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree with everything said here. I would also add that you should file a credit card dispute if you (hopefully) paid that way. You were quoted this price for this job and the job wasn't done. Now the merchant wants more money to complete the job you already paid for.

On a much smaller scale, I paid for a 4-wheel tire rotation at Firestone. I waited 3 hours and the manager (who I later learned was also the franchise owner) calls me over and tells me my truck is done. Great. He tells me the total, swipes my card and I sign the credit card slip. As the service receipt is printing he says: "Oh btw ..." Now he tells me they aligned the front wheels as there are factory shims on the rear wheels. He tells me can align the other 2 wheels for another $250. I tell him that the time to tell me that was 3 hours ago - not after I just paid for a 4-wheel alignment that he didn't complete. I tell him he needs to finish the job as agreed or refund me half of what I paid. He tells me to F off. I then filed a complaint with my bank and showed them the invoice indicating that I paid X dollars for a 4-wheel alignment, only 2 were done and it would cost me X more to have the job completed. Ultimately, the bank refunded me in full and Firestone had to eat it.