F150 Bilstein 5100 vs ready lift on 4th gen expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pm89spur

Reaction score
I’ve read on a couple threads here that some are doing the Bilstein 5100 lift rather than the 3” readylift by using the f150 4x4 Bilstein in the front on the lowest setting. This sounds good to me because I’d rather do the suspension rather than the spacer lift to get 3” of lift, but every truck outfitter (including Bilstein) I call to pick their brain about this, they say it’s not a good idea. I know Bilstein doesn’t make a 3” kit (yet) but they do make a 1.5.” What is y’all’s input on this?

Kahuna

Reaction score
Well I have the Bilston front shocks for my 2020 exp limited in the car now to be returned.

They lack any kind of override for the oem electronic shocks in there now. If we installed them I’d have to live with a red light on the dash.

I’m talking to Off Road Guys here on San Diego who tell me my only good lift option is the ready-lift 3/2. It’s certified to maintain the exiting ride and electronic shock controls.

I’ve ordered them but concerned that my 2020 exp limited might have an issue if I use them. Would love to hear from someone here if their 2020 or later survived it without an issue :)

MATT0404

Reaction score
I just switched from the RL 3/2 spacers to the Expedition specific Bilstein 5100's front (24-285056) and rear (24-285063) on my 2018 XLT (non-CCD obviously). The only thing I regret about making the switch is not doing it sooner! Before I removed the RL spacers, I measured from the center of the hub to the bottom of the fender and all 4 corners measured 22.875". After installing the Bilsteins at their highest settings, all 4 corners measured 22.75". So I only lost about an 1/8" in height all around, but I gained much improved ride and handling characteristics.

I got the Bilsteins from Summit Racing for $534, though they used to be able to be found for a little less elsewhere. Given the marginal difference in cost between the RL spacers and Bilsteins, I would NOT recommend the RL to anyone.

E25712B7-EC14-42FB-AAA4-6F1C436F47A6.jpeg C069EB0D-E940-4F21-8F32-04DAECE42BA2.jpeg

sanman28

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the RL and no issues to date. Im sure the Bilstein rides better....but i find no issues. Oh and raptor wheels are the *******.

0lnUunf.jpg
S2wFjS3.jpg

MATT0404

Reaction score
Did you have bilsteins on with the Ready Lift? Or are you blaming Ready lift for the crappy factory shocks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No I did not have the Bilsteins on with the RL. I wouldn't recommend the RL over the Bilsteins because of the severe upper control arm angles and decreased downward travel which resulted in a rough ride, exaggerated top-heavy feeling, and decreased wheel travel off road. Others have described the 5100's as having a firmer ride than the factory shocks. In my case, with the 5100's installed, the ride feels positively plush compared to the RL spacers and factory shocks. Just my experience. YMMV.

Last edited:

MATT0404

Reaction score
I have the RL and no issues to date. Im sure the Bilstein rides better....but i find no issues. Oh and raptor wheels are the *******.

0lnUunf.jpg
S2wFjS3.jpg
I had to do a double-take. Those Raptor wheels look good black! What size tires are on them?

sanman28

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had to do a double-take. Those Raptor wheels look good black! What size tires are on them?

295-70-17. Powder coated black OEM wheels. 1/4” spacers. Obviously took off the FX4 running boards. No rubbing, trimming, or pulling.

Last edited:

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No I did not have the Bilsteins on with the RL. I wouldn't recommend the RL over the Bilsteins because of the severe upper control arm angles and decreased downward travel which resulted in a rough ride, exaggerated top-heavy feeling, and decreased wheel travel off road. Others have described the 5100's as having a firmer ride than the factory shocks. In my case, with the 5100's installed, the ride feels positively plush compared to the RL spacers and factory shocks. Just my experience. YMMV.
Just curious how the Bilsteins make the control angles any different that the ReadyLift?

Waldo78

Reaction score
Putting on the 5100's on my 2018 expedition with new Ford ome spring as my originals are shot.
I'll be using the factory 20" wheels. Can anyone suggest a good tire size?
Thanks