F150 Lightning Reveal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Perhaps the hype about electric vehicles is more for limiting travel and curtailing personal freedoms than it is about anything else? After all, electric vehicles use more energy than gas to operate and to manufacture and create more environmental fallout...

OP
OP
JasonH

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Perhaps the hype about electric vehicles is more for limiting travel and curtailing personal freedoms than it is about anything else? After all, electric vehicles use more energy than gas to operate and to manufacture and create more environmental fallout...

My electric Focus has the gas equivalent of 1 gallon and goes over 100 miles. Not sure where you're getting your info from but it's way wrong. Electric vehicles are far more efficient and less polluting than ICE, even when you account for battery production. And you can't argue with the $200+ plus I save every month driving electric. Personal freedom? Sure, keep burning your money unnecessarily.

OP
OP
JasonH

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Exactly. Look what happened in Texas when their "renewable" wind turbines and solar panels couldn't operate after that winter storm. Can you imagine half the country experiencing that, and trying to recharge these EV vehicles ? And it's not like these lithium battery assemblies come from thin air or grow on trees. They require enormous material mining and production costs. Produced where? In factories power by what ? Nuclear, coal, oil ....

Wind and solar provide a small percentage of power in winter. The bulk of the failure was from wellheads and pipelines freezing, inhibiting power generation from gas. Wind functions fine if it's winterized, but Ercot chose not to require winterization, so everything, wind, gas, and nuclear failed. This info is available online. Stop echoing talking points.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wind and solar provide a small percentage of power in winter. The bulk of the failure was from wellheads and pipelines freezing, inhibiting power generation from gas. Wind functions fine if it's winterized, but Ercot chose not to require winterization, so everything, wind, gas, and nuclear failed. This info is available online. Stop echoing talking points.

Your reason, logic and facts can't penetrate tinfoil.

vincentrose

Reaction score
30 minutes to charge batteries vs. 5 minutes to fill gas tank, and thats IF you can find a charging station, and if you can't, well i guess that'll mean an expensive towing bill

OP
OP
JasonH

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
30 minutes to charge batteries vs. 5 minutes to fill gas tank, and thats IF you can find a charging station, and if you can't, well i guess that'll mean an expensive towing bill

I can't get my wife and kids in and out of a bathroom in five minutes. The newer EVs add 200 miles of range in 20 minutes. I can barely get my wife and kids 200 miles without a bathroom break either. I think for most people the tradeoff on gas savings and and less maintenance will be worthwhile.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Why are you on an Expedition forum? Are you one of those "influencers" paid to produce and post "paid content"?

Everyone I know who have tried EV's here in New York gave them up in months. Hated them. Poor range, drastically reduced range in the cold, huge electric charging costs at home and environmental concerns. Where are you coming from?

If the government wasn't pouring our cash pushing this crap, do you really think anyone except maybe a milk delivery truck would be sold?

OP
OP
JasonH

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why are you on an Expedition forum? Are you one of those "influencers" paid to produce and post "paid content"?

Everyone I know who have tried EV's here in New York gave them up in months. Hated them. Poor range, drastically reduced range in the cold, huge electric charging costs at home and environmental concerns. Where are you coming from?

If the government wasn't pouring our cash pushing this crap, do you really think anyone except maybe a milk delivery truck would be sold?

I take it you didn't see my trailer in my photo. I tow 7,000 lbs with an Expedition Max. The F150 Lightning is a preview of what's coming down the pipe for the Expedition. Just because an EV didn't work for the people you know doesn't mean it won't work for anyone. Hell, an electric Expedition won't work for me, because my trailer is too large and I tow long distances. But that doesn't mean it won't work for anyone. And I like talking tech.

expyaddict

Reaction score
There will be a viable market for EVs. Just not all/every vehicle or every person. Not nearly everyone in the next few decades. For power in vs. power out, electric motors are very efficient. In terms of $ cost for that power, that is another matter which will vary quite a bit over time. Question will be how much of the overall market.

Personally there is no way I would wait 30 mins to charge (assuming an available charging station) on a road trip. What happens if you get to where you must charge up but there 5 charging stations and 20 cars in front of you? I think you will find yourself putting a small generator in your car so you can buy gas and charge your car just in case. I think the idea of a hybrid or add on combustion engine is the backup source of electricity is likely.

An EV as a second vehicle for a regular home to work to home commute....that could make economic sense. Or Delivery vehicles, buses, or other vehicles that drive a routine route and have natural, regular down time for charging. Especially if it is cost efficient for a municipality or a business.

GM's announcement to be all EV is probably just a gimmick to get some activist investor funds off their back. Later when "market conditions have changed" they will back off that commitment. Otherwise they will be ceding a chunk of the market.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No one has mentioned or maybe thought far enough ahead about rare situations where we have gas lines because of some event.... (hurricane evacuation, shortages,hackers,power outages, etc.....) What are the 30 min. Per car waiting lines gonna be like??? And are they going to cause more problems like power grid crashing in areas because of over demand? These are some real world questions I think.