F250 frame swap on 98 ford expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dragsten56

Reaction score
Just wanting opinions I'm going to be doing a 98 ford expedition frame swap with a 99 ford f250 chassis I know I'm going to have to shorten the f250 chassis to fit wheelbase but wanting know others opinions on my plan no matter the response I'm still doing it me and my dad used to build rock crawlers from scratch so the cutting and welding of the frame isn't a problem but I figured I would post the idea since I can't find the lift kits or other components I need for the build

barkydoggo

Reaction score
This sounds quite fun! I don't have anything to add but that's going to be awesome haha

OP
OP
D

dragsten56

Reaction score
I figured if I'm going to have to fabricate new rear suspension might as well go all out working on sourcing a f250 short wheelbase frame right now gonna do my 4 link rear with 3 link front ox lockers front and rear dana 60s front and rear and when I get all that done I'll then swap the body over so I can atleast drive it still

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just wanting opinions I'm going to be doing a 98 ford expedition frame swap with a 99 ford f250 chassis I know I'm going to have to shorten the f250 chassis to fit wheelbase but wanting know others opinions on my plan no matter the response I'm still doing it me and my dad used to build rock crawlers from scratch so the cutting and welding of the frame isn't a problem but I figured I would post the idea since I can't find the lift kits or other components I need for the build
Sounds like a lot of work but curious on why you'd want to do that?

OP
OP
D

dragsten56

Reaction score
Well I like the look of the expedition and the solid axle set up of the f250 and the strength of the chassis for diesel use I have my 86 accord while I'm building it but I got the truck from my dad as a project so why not go big I learned everything I know from him so let's put it to use is what went through my head

Samuel Jewell

Reaction score
Would be MUCH easier to simply swap the straight axle into the Expedition. I swapped '06 F350 axles into my '99 Ranger and it was comparatively easy. Also I don't want to sound like a know it all but you won't have D60 F&R you'll most likely have a D50F/10.5R. The fact that you don't know this makes me seriously doubt you've put the homework in to understand just what a massive pain in the butt you're talking about. Study, study some more, read EVERY thread you can find about SAS swaps(yes even on other brands and models) then study some more! Finally put a good plan together, start work and throw out half what you planned to do because something changed! I speak this "wisdom" from experience!

Junkyard Jack

Reaction score
I don't think you have to know every axle that was under every truck to be able to do this. People body swap stuff all the time with different frames and manufactures. I think this is a great idea, I am wondering if there would be a way to keep the diesel engine and everything and build something like a baby excursion. Especially if you could find a roll over F250 or something. Not an easy project but an awesome idea for sure.