Factory sub replaced

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ward

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I managed to replace my blown factory subwoofer yesterday, using info I've found here and around the web. It wasn't too bad of a job, I spent about 3 hours on it. The hardest part was getting the third row seat out, and getting the rear plastic loose enough to get the sub box out. Instead of cutting the "lump" off the back of the sub box, I heated it with a butane torch until it was pliable, pressed it down flat, and sealed the bolt hole with JB weld plastic epoxy putty. The sub I installed is an infinity reference 8" 4 ohm. I had to mount it clocked at 90 degrees so the stock wires would reach. I could have extended them to allow it to be rotated the right way, but it doesn't show behind the grille anyway. It sounds so much better than having no bass at all, and was well worth it!

Sub details: ProductWiki: Infinity REF850W - Car Subwoofers

SbOMqE1.jpg

RobertNol

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I actually think it looks good at a 90 degree angle like that. Is there a pretty decent sound difference between the two subs?

OP
OP
W

Ward

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not sure - the original sub was completely blown and not operational when I bought the truck a few weeks ago. I took out the stock sound deadener stuff, and I'm going to try replacing it with polyfill to see if I can get a little more sound out of it. Luckily, now that the sub is mounted from the front only, it's a quick job to remove it again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

Ward

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, I went ahead and filled the box with polyfill. I used the cheap pillow stuffing available from Walmart. I think it definitely helped, the sub seems to respond better to lower frequencies now. I would recommend anyone else using this sub in the factory box to also use polyfill.

jbanks

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have not ordered the replacement subwoofer yet, but I pulled my factory subwoofer out today.

The foam surround was completely disintegrated. I thought about ordering a repair kit to replace the surround. But, I'm going to try a cheapo $19 subwoofer from amazon. Amazon.com: Pyramid PW877X 8-Inch 400-Watt Subwoofer: Car Electronics

It's crazy that so much had to be taken apart to get 1 bolt out. It didn't take too long. 20-30 minutes and went back together in 5 (I broke out the power tools for the bolts). I left the front cover off the factory sub when I put it back together, so I should be able to install the new one with no problem.

QbanCgar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I managed to replace my blown factory subwoofer yesterday, using info I've found here and around the web. It wasn't too bad of a job, I spent about 3 hours on it. The hardest part was getting the third row seat out, and getting the rear plastic loose enough to get the sub box out. Instead of cutting the "lump" off the back of the sub box, I heated it with a butane torch until it was pliable, pressed it down flat, and sealed the bolt hole with JB weld plastic epoxy putty. The sub I installed is an infinity reference 8" 4 ohm. I had to mount it clocked at 90 degrees so the stock wires would reach. I could have extended them to allow it to be rotated the right way, but it doesn't show behind the grille anyway. It sounds so much better than having no bass at all, and was well worth it!

Sub details: ProductWiki: Infinity REF850W - Car Subwoofers

SbOMqE1.jpg

that's a clean look Ward. i need to replace my sub as well as i'm hearing a rattlin' sound, although i think that could also be from the cover. i will have to take the cover off to reevaluated. i currently have my eyes on a pair of Kicker 10" subs in a box, but they will have to wait as i have a graduation party to pay for. i eventually want to replace my entire system, but again that takes $.. hopefully around tax i will be able to upgrade my system.

jbanks

Full Access Members
Reaction score
44269-albums633-picture4067.jpg

Got my Pyramid PW877X 8-Inch 400-Watt Subwoofer installed. Sounds great and CHEAP TOO!

Oh yah...I glued a small thin piece of wood over the bolt hole and did not need to modify the LUMP in the back of the box. I found a bolt that I could thread into the hole to seal it off but that would have required me to modify the LUMP!

Last edited:

bcmaxx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do all of these have a sub? ours has zero bass at all!!! its an eddie bauer

mpsjr

Reaction score
Do all of these have a sub? ours has zero bass at all!!! its an eddie bauer

If your EB is a Gen1 with the Mach Audio system, then it has a sub. If you have no bass at all (like I did when I got mine), then your sub is probably blown. Ford designed the system to turn the bass off to avoid damaging anything if the sub goes out. Replace the sub and you should be good to go. There are plenty of walk-throughs on this site if you need help.