Factory Subwoofer enclosure and aftermarket amp idea

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigswoosh

Reaction score
Hello All,
This is my first time to post anything here. I have a ‘97 Exp XLT. I’ve had this truck for about 5 years now and I love it. I’ve been searching to find out if I can go to the junk yard and get a factory subwoofer enclosure, put an aftermarket 8” subwoofer and bolt it in. In my head, this seems like it would work. I haven’t been able to find anything that definitively says that I can do this. The area in the back where the sub would be, there’s a pocket where I have some tools stored.

The other idea I had was that I would like to install an aftermarket amplifier for the sub and place it under the rear seat. Currently, there is a 6 disk changer there that I don’t use. I’m wondering if I can use the power and ground from the wiring harness for the amp?

Please check the pictures I attached.

I’m open to suggestions.

Thanks
cdcdd17aeddce6c0a23c5b33b318a056.jpg
703f990ca31ca78eb3bc755fda078f54.jpg
93da82c9b550ff90aa0874e1deaca97f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mikezr

Reaction score
Ya you can put one in there and will most def want to use an aftermarket amp. You will need to install a line level converter if you plan on using a stock radio. Also you can put a lot more then an 8 inch sub in there if you wish. An alpine type R 8 inch gives plenty of sound kicker makes a nice one as well. Theres certainly alot of options. As for under the seats you have plenty of room and plenty of air circulation for an amp to run just fine. Infact you have so much room you could put a couple 8 inch subs under there and the amp.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You'll need a box that fits in the location, the sub wasn't just simply bolted into a position in that panel. If not equipped you'll either need to source the factory enclosure, go custom or look into some of the pre loaded options from MTX, the Thunderform, JL Audio Stealthbox or others.

For the effort I'd skip the factory enclosure as it's not going to serve as a good option for a sub that isn't factory unless you go with something nearly the same spec which would hardly make sense. There are dozens and dozens of 8 and 10" subs you could get in that space.

The factory wiring to the cd changer is not going to handle the amperage required to run an amp for a sub. With the work involved in getting something into that area anyway you'll be able to pull the correct wire in probably 20 extra minutes anyhow. You'll have half the vehicle apart back there as it is.