Factory subwoofer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigJWeezy

Reaction score
Hi all - new to the forum and just got a 2015 Expedition Limited non-EL. It has the Sony audio system, which is pretty garbage. How do I know if this comes with a factory subwoofer? I will definitely need to replace most or all of the components.
Thanks!

Denethor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's on top, slightly to the rear, of the driver side rear wheel hump. It has the DSP for the system that you will need to keep to add aftermarket woofer.

OP
OP
B

BigJWeezy

Reaction score
So this does actually have one, or are you saying that I have to look into the panel to determine this? I haven't seen a sub control on the head unit anywhere.

Denethor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you'd have to look there if you're not sure the option list. If there is a speaker grill there, you could probably just shine a flashlight in there and see if you see metal (no woofer) or the speaker...

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2000 expy has the mach stereo system that has a 8 inch sub in the pass rear. It's covered by a perforated plastic cover. Mine doesn't use a separate bass knob like aftermarket amps do. Here's a stupid thought. Why not put on a cd or radio with bass content, pop your head back there. If theirs a sub, you'll hear it/ feel it. If not the panels in the back will be one solid piece. You can run your vin online, and that will also tell you what your SUV came with. Fire it up listen, and rock out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Penumbra

Reaction score
Turn your stereo on and put your ear to it. You can hear it plain as day. ...and yes, it sounds bad...poor frequency filter and overwhelms sound in back when volume is increased.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Boy you guys must have some really crappy factory stereos. My stock mach stereo sounds great for a factory unit. Every other car I've owned, and man I've had about 20 or more, had to yank out the radio/ speakers. This is one I don't feel a need to touch. Mine has a small 4 channel amp for the door speakers, and a mono one for the Sub. The only thing I would change is maybe the sub. But at my age, I probably never will. In your case sounds like your going to visit local stereo store, or Crutchfield. Mr 10k on this forum is an expert on stereo products/ installation. You might want to give him a P.M. Moose

Penumbra

Reaction score
To an average or inexperienced ear most newer stereos sound "good". For the discerning individuals who have had or listened to high end equipment there is no comparison. Many people simply do not care enough to delve in to high end sound...to others who have spent 5-10k+$ on auto stereos are never satisfied with stock as even the highest end autos only touch on it. If your interested in high end sound and have no experience it's best to consult a professional in the field and not your neighbor who threw a sub box in the trunk with an amp attached to it.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well now I'm hurt. I've been a home and auto audiophile for over 45 years. My home systems have been some of mcintosh's best. C46 preamp 500 watt monoblocks, B&W 802 speakers. My ears are not amateur, at 61 their not as good as they used to be. My previous car stereo consisted of Mcintosh top 4 channel amp and A.D.S speakers. 12 inch sub.Not to mention top eclipse head unit. I still say our forum member has a lower end stereo, or something wrong with speakers. My mach system sounds fine for oem. Guess our friend needs some new tunes.

Andrew Cole

Reaction score
I am a second time Expedition owner, first a 2008 EL Limited with the Pioneer factory unit and was actually blown away by the system. Literaly would rattle the rear vent windows. I just purchased a 2015 EL Limited with the Sony unit and love the highs but strain to hear the lows. I've been a DIY stereo guy in my youth but now, typically stick to factory... That being said, this Sony will simply not do. My question is, I visited a local stereo store with a solid reputation and they quoted me a YL Stealth box system with a new sub amp and frequency adjustment nob for $1,200.... YIKES!!! after spending $40k on the car, the budget for that doesnt exist. So here is my question for the group...

Do I need to replace the factory AMP or can I simply replace the sub? According to the shop they said you cannot bolt a non OEM sub in nor could you tie it to the existing AMP. My 21 year old is ready to prove them wrong but before I let him in there, I wanted to seek your guidance. Simply adding a better sub with everything else factory will be fine for me. But if I need a new sub, new AMP and new wiring back to the battery, I might let my wife drive it and go back to my Audi.

Thoughts?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01