FAN REMOVEL FROM WARTER

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr.Ted

Reaction score
I am trying to replace the radiator on my 1998 Expedition 4 wheel drive and it has an oil cool but my problem is two things I CAN NOT BREAK THE FAN LOOSE.1 PROBLEM IS IT SEEMS THE REPAIR MANUAL SAY IT HAS A LEFT HAND THREAD HOW EVER I WATCH VIDEOS ON U TUBE AND ALL SHOW JUST A REGULAR NUT SO I DON'T KNOW WHICH WAY TO TURN THE NUT. 2 I RENTED THE WRENCH SET FROM ADVANCE AUTO. I COULD NOT GET THOSE TO WORK, ALL PIECES WERE TOO BIG, THE OPEN END WRENCHES WOULD ROUND OFF THE SHOULDERS OF THE NUT AND THE ONE TOO USE TOO HOLD THE WATER PUMP WOULD NOT STAY ON. SO ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE WELCOME. I hope you can understand what I am saying.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ted I haven't done this job myself, but theirs a video online, it's for f150, same vehicle, sorry wasn't able to forward it to you or website. Basically you need the proper fan tools, and bust it loose, it's normal threads left to loosen, right to tighten. Once you bust it off, the fan should spin off counterclockwise. I'd get a better fitting wrench set though. Sounds like that ones either cheap, or just worn-out. You don't want to strip that nut. Good luck.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You were the one a few months back with the stuck seat motor? Actually when you have a proper functional motor, those T55 bolts come right off. Just spend some $ on a good socket. The cheap ones will strip them out, then your really screwed. You found that out with that fan clutch wrench tool. Back to your fan, you may want to spray the threads first with a good penetrating oil.

OP
OP
M

Mr.Ted

Reaction score
well I found the only way I was going to get that bolt out of the seat is the mechanic I go too said he would weld a nut on top. But I have not done that yet I have had a summer of things that used up all the extra money so now I have this problem replaceing the radiator which at this point I don.t know what to do. I have never owned a vehicle this long so I have to make it last. THAK YOU MR MOOSE AND HAVE A GREAT DAY

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, contrary to what others say here, these are tough trucks to work on. I'm surprised when I do anything to mine, and it's not a knuckle busting ordeal. I've worked on a lot of tuff cars and motorcycles, but these rank up there. A simple thing like taking off an oil filter, becomes a swearing ordeal. Maybe I'm just getting too old. My first few cars, an early Volkswagen, and Datsun 240z were so easy to get at pretty much everything. Maybe I need to find an old Datsun, and make it my daily driver.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just replaced my radiator in my 02 EB 5.4 expy this past summer. I removed fan shroud bolts and pushed the shroud over by the engine and it gave me plenty of room to replace the radiator with the fan still in. I also have the cooler and still had no problem.

The year before my fan clutch went out. It literally ate out the inside of the clutch and the fan was bouncing around on a stub. It sounded like a tin can bouncing around.
I bought the new clutch and got the tool and started to try and get the old one off. Just shy of rounding the heads, I took to a shop and had them do it.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You know Trainmaster, except for a few cars, I really didn't care for the old cars/trucks. Once you drive something newer and nicer, you don't look back. Besides a 67 galaxy would be too expensive and too nice for a daily driver. Unless of course you wouldn't mind driving a beater. But that's not fun, especially now. A 42 Cadillac with the new hydramatic would be my car. No the classics are Sunday vehicles But God they sure look cool! No, we have to put up with the complexity of newer cars, it's just moving forward in life.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd go for a 70's Nova with a 454 and the rock crusher 4spd made to look like a sleeper.

I put a 350 4bolt & 4spd truck trans in a 72 Vega in my youth - sucker was all over the road. Ah the good ol days...
The only thing that scared me was the H2 750 two stroke. Talk about white knuckle acceleration! I've never seen a tach swing that fast.