FAN REMOVEL FROM WARTER

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

Mr.Ted

Reaction score
Hey Mr Moose I finally got the fan loose. I talked to a guy a Auto Zone and I told him my story and he said you don't need the special tool he said take a chisel and a hammer and in about 5 minutes it was loose about 5 or 6 blows from the hammer and 2 shoulders of the nut and it was loose. hey my 2 cents worth on the old cars. The classics are my favorites on the road. I wish I had money I would have a warehouse full. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP. You can pass this way on because it works. Forgot to ask I just watched a video on u tube about the lower hose and he said he worked trying to get the hose off for 2 hours and still not off. So do you have any idea how to get them off fairly easy, I am 77 and getting under the truck is some what of a challenge.

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
He did it old school Harley way. Hate to admit i have my share of sharp chisels. But usually after getting suspect nut/bolt off, I'd replace it. Stamp, you and Jeff Kushner need to hook up. He's a Mach3/4 afficianodo. I never had the pleasure of the big brother 750, the 500 made me change my skivvies more than once. Good choice on the Nova. I've always liked more motor than chassis or brakes. My favorite would be a Scarab racing 1970 Datsun 240 Z, with the small block Chevy 350 mill. But I'd up the ante, and put in the 550 horsepower 406 stroker motor. That'd make you go to church/temple onFriday night/ Sunday morning. Still leaves the afternoon free!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hey Mr Moose I finally got the fan loose. I talked to a guy a Auto Zone and I told him my story and he said you don't need the special tool he said take a chisel and a hammer and in about 5 minutes it was loose about 5 or 6 blows from the hammer and 2 shoulders of the nut and it was loose. hey my 2 cents worth on the old cars. The classics are my favorites on the road. I wish I had money I would have a warehouse full. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP. You can pass this way on because it works. Forgot to ask I just watched a video on u tube about the lower hose and he said he worked trying to get the hose off for 2 hours and still not off. So do you have any idea how to get them off fairly easy, I am 77 and getting under the truck is some what of a challenge.
the Bottom hose with the clips and quarter twist is a pain. I removed the other ends of the bottom hose and pulled it out with the radiator put it on the bench and got it that way. After all the prying, pulling and wrenching I did to separate it from the radiator I did not trust it and bought a new hose to go on the new radiator. (not that the old bottom hose wouldn't have held, but more to make sure I did not have to do it again.)
I also put the new bottom hose on the new radiator before putting the radiator in truck.

OP
OP
M

Mr.Ted

Reaction score
Hey 1955 Moose, and the rest of the guys that might be interested in this thread I found out today that no one said anything in all the videos that I watch on u tube said anything about. There is writeing on that plastic collar that says "to remove hose bend tab back toward hose and rotate 45 degrees and pull" but what it does not say is to line up the WHITE LINE with the notch where the tab was in and pull. This is not an instant cure but its better than not knowing.

OP
OP
M

Mr.Ted

Reaction score
I have one more question. I am at the point to drain the radiator so I hooked up a piece of hose to the pet-**** but when I opened it I bet i did not get but a cup full so I took a turkey baster and I sucked out about a gallon to a gallon and half from the reservoir. I know the water in there some were because the truck does run hot. Any ideas.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's possible you might have to run the motor to get it out. These are weird setups that depend on a pressure through the degauss/overflow bottle of sorts to make them work. They have no fill spout on radiator. Be sure you use distilled water if you use full strength coolant, a 50/50 mix. Regular tap water can cause electrolysis in the motor, and early corrosion. Also be sure to put front wheels on jack stands fairly steep angle when filling. Gets out any air bubbles, so heater works right, and your engine doesn't run hot. A steep grade will suffice as an alternative.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use full size vise grips and a large flat sided shaft screwdriver or prybar (the red handle 3 set) to hold on the heads of the bolts and then smack the vise grips with palm of hand to pop it loose.

OP
OP
M

Mr.Ted

Reaction score
THANKS Moose I did not know any of that so I am going too print it and take up to the garage. May be a couple of day before I get back to it its going down to 20 degrees tonight

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have one more question. I am at the point to drain the radiator so I hooked up a piece of hose to the pet-**** but when I opened it I bet i did not get but a cup full so I took a turkey baster and I sucked out about a gallon to a gallon and half from the reservoir. I know the water in there some were because the truck does run hot. Any ideas.
Undo the top radiator hose (acts as a vent) and the radiator will drain on out. This does not drain the engine. The whole system only holds (14 quarts) 3 1/2 gallons. When I drained the radiator I only got out 7 to 8 quarts the rest was in the engine. I had good antifreeze before so I did not drain the engine.
I would think to drain the engine you would have to remove freeze plugs. Because when you drain the radiator it takes the level below the water pump.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well there you go, didn't think about the upper hose. Getting old, that and texting while drinking, it's amazing I don't screw up more. If you want to get it all out, the last point of flow is the thermostat to the upper hose. Leave top hose off, run it, just don't let it get too hot. That or put a Prestone heater hose T inline, and run a garden hose through it.