FAN REMOVEL FROM WARTER

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

Mr.Ted

Reaction score
I have finally got this radiator lower hose off. Now if anyone knows for sure is it safe and can it really be cut off too get rid of the hard black ring and if I do what is the chances of it leaking opposed to useing the hard ring. I really love my Expedition but I never had so much trouble doing repairs on any vehicle I have ever owned. I welcome any ideas.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was thinking of " cutting the hard black ring" or putting a regular hose on.

Then I realized that where you hook hose to radiator is all plastic and has little nubs where the "black ring" hooks up. I didn't want to chance the little nubs wearing thru the hose or breaking the plastic where the hose connects to radiator. without the "black ring" it seems thin and vulnerable.

My thoughts were I did not want any chance of doing again so I bought the new bottom hose with the "black ring" so it all fit together perfectly.

And as I said earlier I put hose on the radiator before I put the radiator in the truck. so all I had to connect in the truck is the spring clips on the other side.

How does the old hose "black ring" look? did you beat it up taking it off? maybe you can use again. I could have used my old hose black ring and all and probably would have been fine. I just didn't want to take any chance on doing it again.

OP
OP
M

Mr.Ted

Reaction score
Yupster Dog thanks for the info the hose is in very good shape, I think it would be ok to use again I have just read some other threads on another forums and they were saying its hard too get back on and the other thing that the little tab broke off when I bent it back so I don't have it too lock it in place. Do you know how that ring is attached too the hose,can I get the ring off without cutting it off that way the hose would not be shorter.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yupster Dog thanks for the info the hose is in very good shape, I think it would be ok to use again I have just read some other threads on another forums and they were saying its hard too get back on and the other thing that the little tab broke off when I bent it back so I don't have it too lock it in place. Do you know how that ring is attached too the hose,can I get the ring off without cutting it off that way the hose would not be shorter.

No, I have not done that mod maybe someone else on here has.

OP
OP
M

Mr.Ted

Reaction score
I am so confused as too what to do now that I finally got the hose off. How do I get the hose back on. Do I have to twist the hose 45 degrees too get it back on OR DO I CUT THE HOSE OFF IF SO WHERE DO I CUT IT AND WILL IT SEAL I JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT TOO DO. PLEASE HELP. I don't really need to be messing with this thing for the next few weeks trying too stop a leak.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would suggest for you to go buy the new bottom radiator hose ($40 at Auto Zone) and put on radiator first then put radiator in truck. That way you only have to deal with 2 spring clips on bottom hose and everything else is on top. You should be done in no time.

To get new bottom hose on new radiator (opposite of how you got old one off) get the hose turned the right way push it on and a quarter twist. REMEMBER the middle hose on the T must end up pointed up to the top of radiator. to hook back up to reservoir.

Or you can spend more of your time messing around with the old hose. Bottom line is What is your time and sanity worth?

Stress is a killer

OP
OP
M

Mr.Ted

Reaction score
IMPORTANT; I am thinking that this will be my last question. I have finally got the lower hose off and the radiator out of the expedition. Radiator on the work bench and I have worked the metal sleeve off and I cleaned up the sleeve and I bent the edge where the tab is just a little and I flatened it so it would seat against the radiator. Now if I am thinking right I can push the ring back on the new radiator while on the work bench and when I get it back in the expedition I can slide the hose back on the radiator and put a new hose clamp close the radiator and tighten. AM I RIGHT, HOPEFULLY NO LEAKS.