Finally! A Wired audio connection for Ford Rear Entertainment System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have read the various RES threads about the likes/dislikes of the Ford RES supplied by Voxx Hirschmann. We have a 2018 Expedition with the Ford RES and I'm aware of its limitations, especially the lag issues caused by bluetooth audio over the vehicle's audio system. I have adjusted the lip sync lag time in the RES settings on several occasions, but it seems to vary based on the movie being played, etc. Not interested in FM tuners, or bluetooth speakers, etc, etc.

My question is if anyone has figured out a clever way to hard wire an audio connection to the factory head unit? We don't use the factory CD player (I have a 2018 model with factory CD player), and I don't use Sirius XM radio. Curious if there's any way to utilize either of these inputs for a rear entertainment system? I haven't been able to find any photos of the inputs on the factory head unit, so appreciate everyone's insight.

OP
OP
scottdm

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Interesting. I also see this harness on the NAVIKS site that says it's an aux audio input for Sync 3. I'll ask around at my local stereo shops and see if they have any experience with either of these.

F144774726.jpg

OP
OP
scottdm

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I called NAVIKS and they were very helpful. He said for the RES application that the wiring harness version is required to avoid any lag with the audio. He said the USB to 3.5mm converter still has a signal processor involved that would cause a delay. Good to know!

Johnb21

Reaction score
Voxx International does have an update for RES. Not sure how good it will be in fixing bluetooth delay issues, but I should be able to report back in a week or so. My truck is in the shop and Voxx is mailing my dealer the UBS flash drives today.

OP
OP
scottdm

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score

It won't work for the wired audio for the RES. See comments in post #4. I ordered the harness version in the link below and will run a 3.5mm stereo cable from the headphone output and convert to the RCA audio inputs on the new Naviks harness. The only exposed wire will be the 3.5mm stereo cable coming out near the headrest post and into the headphone jack.

https://naviks.com/i-24076489-2016-...dio-input-interface.html?ref=category:1207132

AKentPhoto

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow, I don't know how I double posted that. Sorry!

Looking forward to seeing how it pans out for you. Hopefully it works! Definitely let us know...

OP
OP
scottdm

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sure thing. This has been a pet peeve of mine, so hopefully it does the trick. Will have to pull the center stack apart to add the new harness, so that should be interesting. Thought about taking it to a stereo shop, but if they break a clip I'm sure they'd never say anything. If I break a clip pulling the center stack apart, I'll have a chance to fix it, etc.

OP
OP
scottdm

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Finally got the Naviks module installed and am pleased with the results. It's nice to FINALLY have a wired audio input from the RES to the factory headunit so I don't have to mess with all the issues associated with Bluetooth audio. Ford really dropped the ball on this issue and should have had a wired input from the factory.

Required/recommended hardware:
1. Naviks aux input module for SYNC 3
( https://naviks.com/i-24076489-2016-...dio-input-interface.html?ref=category:1207132 )

2. 3.5mm cable (10' length)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0793ND3NR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3. 3.5mm to RCA adapter cable
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079L2VL1S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4. Ground loop isolator
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077Y5DLBB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Recommended tools/supplies:
1. Plastic pry tools to disassemble the center cluster

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KXN7LE6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2. 7mm socket to remove center cluster bolts and head unit bolts

3. electrical tape, zip ties and felt to bundle the Naviks module to prevent rattling.

4. fish tape to fish 3.5mm cable through seat back and up into center cluster.

Install details:
1. I ran a 3.5mm stereo cable from the headphone jack on the driver's side screen and fished it through the seatback by the headrest post.
2. Hid the 3.5mm stereo cable under the center tunnel and fished it up into the center cluster.
3. Naviks module is plug and play with the factory head unit and provides an RCA audio input, so I used a 3.5mm to RCA adapter cable.
4. Ended up needing a ground loop isolator (gold colored cylindrical item in photos) since there was initially some hum in the audio. With the ground loop isolator installed, the sound is clean with no buzz/static, etc.
5. Bundled up the Naviks module and cables and wrapped in black felt to prevent any rattles after install.

Functionality:
1. Basically shares the USB audio input and requires a USB stick with music to be inserted into the USB slot in the center console in order to function.
2. To activate the wired audio input from the RES, select USB audio on the head unit and then press and hold the left arrow button on the left side of the steering wheel for 7 seconds and it now uses the RES audio over the factory stereo. Hold left arrow again for 7 seconds to deactivate.
3. IR headphones function as normal on the RES regardless of if the new wired audio input is being used.
4. Bluetooth audio on the RES only works if the headphone cable is disconnected from the rear screen. However, the whole point of this mod is to NOT use the Bluetooth audio from the RES, so this isn't an issue from my perspective.
5. Audio is now reliable and properly lip-synced all the time with no time delay issues to mess with.

Observations:
1. Was initially disappointed in the hum and static when using the new input, and am glad the ground loop isolator completely solved this issue!
2. I did some experimenting and when a phone is paired with Bluetooth audio and a call is received, the phone will not interrupt the RES audio feed when the RES wired audio input is active. My kids would always get upset when the phone interrupted their movie in the past since the movie would keep playing with no audio while the phone was being used. Just a reminder to be aware of this "feature" and to unpair your phone on a long trip if the kids are watching a movie.
3. If the RES wired audio input is active when you shut off the vehicle with a movie playing, it will be active upon restarting. Kids will only have to power up the rear screens and movie will resume (we use USB stick for movies). No more messing with bluetooth on the headunit and RES every time the vehicle is turned on/off.
3. The only visible evidence of this mod being done is the 2" length of 3.5mm cable that runs from the headphone jack to the seat post. I selected a cable with a 90 degree connector and black fabric insulation to blend in as well as possible.
4. Overall, I'm very pleased and glad to have this mod completed prior to our 9 hour drive to the beach!

Photos:
(needed multiple posts for photos since max limit of 5 photos per post).

IMG_0466.JPG

IMG_0467.JPG

IMG_0468.JPG

IMG_0477.JPG

IMG_0478.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graphite-INDITE