Finally Joining the Expedition Club!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jace

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well after looking since the 2018's came out, we finally pulled the trigger on a 2019 Limited Max Special Edition in Oxford White. The only other option was second row buckets. It seems like 99% of the special editions come in White Platinum, and after asking multiple dealers, they could only find one in Oxford White... which was the one I ended up getting for 68K (plus the usual taxes n fees and a little transport fee cus it was so far away) which I though was pretty decent. We love how well the Oxford White pops with the black wheels! We would have loved a stealth, but neither one of us could do the red stitching, and the discount on this package was great.

Funny thing is, I live in central Utah, and the dealer I purchased it from is in Colorado. Long story short, I've got to get a plane ride out and drive it back when it gets in. We're excited tho. Should be much better in the snow then our FWD Sienna SE, still haul all 5 boys and have the ability to tow 9k!

This is the best photo I've got so far!

d4cf00eecf904a6d9938ad2cf4ea1705.jpg

ib_jigged

Reaction score
Congrats! We love our Oxford white stealth we picked up on Monday. Our dealer let my father and I drive to the dealer that had it 300 miles away and drive it back before we bought it.

OP
OP
Jace

Jace

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Congrats! We love our Oxford white stealth we picked up on Monday. Our dealer let my father and I drive to the dealer that had it 300 miles away and drive it back before we bought it.
Yours is the one that really pushed me over the edge towards Oxford... probably the first Stealth I've seen in Oxford too. I wish I could have got one minus the stitching! My company cars are all red, so we try to stay away from that color as much as we can haha.

ib_jigged

Reaction score
Funny, the red stitching is what swayed us along with the blacked out trim and head lights.

OP
OP
Jace

Jace

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Funny, the red stitching is what swayed us along with the blacked out trim and head lights.
Haha yeah that is funny. I'm guessing it's a love it or hate it kinda thing. I do like everything else that's black. Probably easier to swap those out or wrap them then change the interior haha.

OP
OP
Jace

Jace

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You might want to get a pic of the door sticker, the one with the tire and weight info, and run the numbers ...
I'll definitely be doing that. If I remember right, max combined weight of everything is like 15.5k. luckily my boys are all under the age of 7 so they don't add up to much haha. We really didn't want to have to drive 2 vehicles, so we're hoping this will work for most of what w would like to do.... It at least will give us some options!

Now if they just remade the Excursion

Shutterbug57

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'll definitely be doing that. If I remember right, max combined weight of everything is like 15.5k. luckily my boys are all under the age of 7 so they don't add up to much haha. We really didn't want to have to drive 2 vehicles, so we're hoping this will work for most of what w would like to do.... It at least will give us some options!

Now if they just remade the Excursion

My 2019 Limited 4x4 tow package has 1,719 of payload and a 930# receiver weight rating. As it’s just the wife and I, our limiter (for a travel trailer) is the receiver (930/.13= 7,153 less roughly 100 for a WDH leaves roughly 7,053 for trailer loaded weight). Don’t forget that hitch weight has to figure into the payload as well. Also, you have to use the full hitch weight, not the rear axel trailer weight after hooking up the WDH. The 13% is the target % of trailer weight on the hitch.

If you are towing a boat, those numbers will be different (and as I understand it, allow more trailer weight due to lower wind resistance). Factory published numbers are towing a load of bricks balanced over the trailer axel while loading the truck with only a 150# driver.

The Expedition is the best SUV option out there for towing with folks in the vehicle. If you want to know your real payload for the trailer, load the truck as you would for a trip, including all people, coolers, pets, etc., then hit a CAT scale. If you need more weight, a 1 ton van is about all that’s left. Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jace

Jace

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2019 Limited 4x4 tow package has 1,719 of payload and a 930# receiver weight rating. As it’s just the wife and I, our limiter (for a travel trailer) is the receiver (930/.13= 7,153 less roughly 100 for a WDH leaves roughly 7,053 for trailer loaded weight). Don’t forget that hitch weight has to figure into the payload as well. Also, you have to use the full hitch weight, not the rear axel trailer weight after hooking up the WDH. The 13% is the target % of trailer weight on the hitch.

If you are towing a boat, those numbers will be different (and as I understand it, allow more trailer weight due to lower wind resistance). Factory published numbers are towing a load of bricks balanced over the trailer axel while loading the truck with only a 150# driver.

The Expedition is the best SUV option out there for towing with folks in the vehicle. If you want to know your real payload for the trailer, load the truck as you would for a trip, including all people, coolers, pets, etc., then hit a CAT scale. If you need more weight, a 1 ton van is about all that’s left. Good luck.

I really do appreciate all of this info! I'm completely new to the towing world (minus smaller trailers with an ATV/SXS on them), so anything and everything helps. There are sure a lot of variables to consider. Given your information above, I'll definitely need to do a little bit of homework and math to see what I can safely tow before I make any purchases. Good to know about boats too. In the long run, I'm hoping to find some sort of small toyhauler I can pull. The hard part is a SXS for my family is massive, and I need a lot of sleeping room haha. It may or may not be possible once I run all the numbers, but at least be at a point where we can make a decision.

You hit the nail on the head about the Expedition being the SUV option out there tho. If I had 3 kids, I would have definitely sprung for some variety of Superduty, but that's not much of an option, and my wife heavily disliked having to take 2 vehicles everywhere.