Firming up Suspension on 2020 Expedition Platinum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ted Kramer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey all, new to this forum. Getting out of a 2017 Explorer Platinum and DO NOT like the new 2020s. So, I drove the Expedition. Love it, except for it being a bit bouncy. Has anyone had experience doing any sort of suspension modification just to firm it up a bit. Maybe dampening the up and down a bit and maybe a bit firmer side to side? Would love to get some feedback and recommendations. TIA.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey all, new to this forum. Getting out of a 2017 Explorer Platinum and DO NOT like the new 2020s. So, I drove the Expedition. Love it, except for it being a bit bouncy. Has anyone had experience doing any sort of suspension modification just to firm it up a bit. Maybe dampening the up and down a bit and maybe a bit firmer side to side? Would love to get some feedback and recommendations. TIA.
Depends on what model you rode in. The plati’s with 22s have CCD with different driving modes for softening or firming up the suspension. I know over the 15-17s, the 2018+ have different spring ratings than the 15-17s. Can’t really do much to the suspension of these they are cinder blocks of wheels so it's gonna be an issue. Most ppl just throw Bilsteins on and call it a day. Apparently they are way better than OEM

OP
OP
T

Ted Kramer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bilsteins. That's good news. I drove a Limited stealth edition. Haven't been able to drive a Platinum yet. 16Plati, can you post pics of your ride. I was checking out your mods and would love to see a photo. Thanks.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The buoyancy is one of the main reasons I avoid Tahoes/Suburbans. I don't like hearing that Ford is now going in this direction also. I get it as most people in their target market want a spongy ride over better handling, but I don't like it. :x

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The new models without the ccd are pretty firm and tied down. No bouyancy type ride characteristics whatsoever. You feel way may on the road compared to the cxd but alotta people like that. You see far more complaints of the ccd setup over the models without it(actually, there seems to not be many if at all any complaints).

OP
OP
T

Ted Kramer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure if what I test drove had CCD. What is a limited styles. Certainly didn’t play with the suspension modes. Thanks everyone.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If u drove the special edition or stealth pkg ltd, it had the ccd. All expys with the 22in wheels have ccd.

OP
OP
T

Ted Kramer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I changed drive mode from normal to sport but the throttle response was “jumpy”. Is the CCD setting separate from drive mode? Can you change to bilsteins if you have CCD??