First Gen Expedition Rear control arms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adventure 7

Reaction score
Ok I have a first gen Expedition that needs new rear control arm both upper and lower ones . I tried to put new ones in but found out that some Expedition after a certain date had the bolts changed from 14mm to 16 mm bolts i read it was to make them strong and the fix for these was to have the holes drilled out ,bascally making them bigger .

Has anyone else heard of this ?
if so what drill bit did you use or any additional help with doing this help me

craig sargood

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have not seen this, I’ve switched mine a couple time for different upgraded ones. But if for some reason you needed to drill out, just go to Lowe’s/ home crappo and get a drill bit just slightly bigger and go to town, be sure to use some wd40 or something to keep drill bit lubed up.

Reaction score
I didn't know about this design change, but my '01 uses the 16 mm x 2.0 x 90 mm type. I am currently involved in replacing the upper/lower trailing arms on mine due to corrosion.

I did have to cut the head off the driver side bolt on the lower arm in order to remove it since I didn't want to go through the hassle of dropping the fuel tank. Good times!! /s

Why they inserted the suspension bolts from inside the frame, prior to dropping in the fuel tank is beyond me...

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ahh the fuel tank bolt!!
I sneaked mine out without damaging tank or moving it but stupid design.
GM did similar on lower control arms on front. Just did a lower that broke. (Poor weak backyard looking fabrication)
The rear bolt should have been put in the other direction.

craig sargood

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If I were you guy, I’d upgrade to stronger ones, the stock ones are ****** and will rot out again if you live in rain/snow. Here are a few pictures of the ones I have.

662A7C31-3166-4470-BFD8-DE0582561DBD.jpeg

F20D71E9-854E-4A1C-94B2-5ADB135ABA0A.jpeg

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Same style I got of ebay just in shiny black with a big flag sticker on the side.