first gen windshield leak; by Thermo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Punisher6

Reaction score
Had the same leaking problem on a 2001 and a 2000 expedition. Both very different problems. The 01 had a sunroof and the drains were clogged. Opened them and the problem was fixed. On the 2000 no sunroof but the body deal on the roof was the problem. This one took me the longest to find. When it got wet the lights radio and most everything in the expedition would come on. Had new windshield installed, took it back and had it replaced and resealed still leaked. I finally took a day to solve the problem. The seam on the roof where it meets the side of the vehicle was the problem. I sealed it From back to front on both sides problem solved. Hope this helps.

tekrsq

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know it's an old thread, but I think my 99 has finally gotten the dreaded leak. So, having said that, how do you replace the black trim piece around the the windshield ? Mine looks like it's embedded in the window channel and sealed in with the windshield ? I was going to run a bead of silicone around the windshield since the local window shops won't touch it.

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Glass shops are going to replace the glass with a new seal replacement. Windshields are usually broken during removal, especially on an old vehicle. Opt for factory glass where possible although it is more expensive. Seals alone can be purchased online if you are doing it yourself.

downtown

Reaction score
Can anyone point me towards a guide as to finding the GEM so I can make sure it is dry? I'm leaving the car outside now and the rain has me worried. I'm not very experienced and I was struggling to find where the GEM was located.

Thanks!

CyberSnypa

Reaction score
I had this exact problem on my 02 XLT with a sunroof. It only happened when I drove in the rain. I first looked at the sunroof and assumed it was leaking. But when I saw that it sealed very nicely, I knew it had to be the windshield. Water would drip down the grab handle and onto the switches. I pulled off the A pillar cover and didn't find more than some surface corrosion on the bolts. I did notice there was a sunroof drain tube behind the steel pillar but there was no getting to it even if you did think it as the problem. I still haven't pulled the windshield to reseal it but I live in CA and it never rains. So I will get to it when I can.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360