First major upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Railroadmam

Reaction score
Today I installed my first major upgrade to my 2019 expy.
CVF Titan intercooler. I did it in my driveway. Used my ramps. I took my time, took about 4 hrs. That includes putting up my tools. I had to cut off about an inch of the intercooler shroud. Used a Dremel tool, it worked great. Looking forward to seeing the efficiency improve gas mileage!!!

Dworth

Reaction score
Will keeps temps down and prevent heat soak / engine pulling timing but I hope you did not by it for gas mileage improvement.

OP
OP
Railroadmam

Railroadmam

Reaction score
No, didn't buy for that purpose. The engine should be more efficient, which in turn should improve mileage I can tell it runs better.
CVFabrication - Titan intercooler 599$

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did your stock one have dual electric fans?

Last edited:

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not aware of fans being part of the charge air cooler setup. there are electronically actuated louvers placed before the cooler but that's all I've ever seen cooling wise for the intercooler, in the eco-boosts in the expedition and 150's.

The radiator has fans but not the intercooler.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not aware of fans being part of the charge air cooler setup. there are electronically actuated louvers placed before the cooler but that's all I've ever seen cooling wise for the intercooler, in the eco-boosts in the expedition and 150's.

The radiator has fans but not the intercooler.
Correct. IC is in front of the Radiator. The fans are on the back of the Radiator.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
For clarity. An upgraded IC will not improve MPG, it can actually have the reverse effect. Is it better for things in general, yes.

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Correct. IC is in front of the Radiator. The fans are on the back of the Radiator.

My Timberline 100% has dual fans right on the back of the IC. The radiator itself has large electric fans.
But for the IC its "under" the main radiator with louvers -> IC -> Dual (looks like 8" or 6" fans)