First time Expedition owner checking in

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nightfire

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Last month I decided to purchase a used Expedition for my growing family. I originally just wanted something 2009 or newer while staying under $20k.

Well I broke that budget.

I ended up with a 2011 Limited HPE500. I love the truck and I am looking forward to learning from these forums. Cheers!

received_953887278155429.jpeg

received_313437319204381.jpeg

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wonder if they throw in a bottle of Hennessy? A supercharger and a tune. The kids are going to love Dad! All we had growing up was a 118 HP Pontiac fake Woody wagon. I think it had a bad valve or lifter too. Talk about slow. I remember my older sister having to floor it to get to 70 mph on the 101. Let's see 5.4, start with 310-320 hp, add a supercharger, K&N, a 92 octane tune, and your sneaking up on 450 ponies! Now that would surely pull my highway 1 South grade near me. Better drink the Hennessy after you or the Mrs picks up the Kiddies.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Last month I decided to purchase a used Expedition for my growing family. I originally just wanted something 2009 or newer while staying under $20k.

Well I broke that budget.

I ended up with a 2011 Limited HPE500. I love the truck and I am looking forward to learning from these forums. Cheers!

Good looking rig!! Welcome to the forum!

OP
OP
N

Nightfire

Reaction score
Wonder if they throw in a bottle of Hennessy? A supercharger and a tune. The kids are going to love Dad! All we had growing up was a 118 HP Pontiac fake Woody wagon. I think it had a bad valve or lifter too. Talk about slow. I remember my older sister having to floor it to get to 70 mph on the 101. Let's see 5.4, start with 310-320 hp, add a supercharger, K&N, a 92 octane tune, and your sneaking up on 450 ponies! Now that would surely pull my highway 1 South grade near me. Better drink the Hennessy after you or the Mrs picks up the Kiddies.

The truck is stamped 500 hp / 525 ftlbs. It really doesn't feel lime that much but it is a whole lot faster than the rest of the Expedition/Navigator that I tested.

Things I like about the truck:
1. Every gizmo on the truck seems to work which is alot on a Limited model.
2. Shifting is very smooth and it runs great as a daily driver.
3. Truck is overall in great shape and was bought with just over 65k miles
4. 36k mile warranty (purchased seperate) and reliable Eaton blower.

Things I don't like:
1. It gets around 11 mpg and requires premium. Yes, I know it is 6000# truck sitting on 285/55 20s, but damn.
2. The tune could have been done better imho. It seems to surge unexpectitely at times and not kick in much at all other times.
3. Last owner was kind of an idiot. He clearly took a bath on the truck, but the things that bother me is that he lost the 2nd key, lost the key that locks the hitch into the reciever (dealership said they would drill it out when I get my plates), and he added a bunch of blue light stuff that sort of just hangs there. There is also an added module that NOBODY knows what it does. It also just hangs by the console. I am afraid to just snip it off as it may be security related.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was going to say a supercharged 5.4L is putting down a lot more than 450 horsepower, figured at least 500.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
11 mpg and 500 horses, your doing fine bubba! If you wanted 20 mpg, you should have bought a smaller SUV or a hybrid like an Escalade . We had a saying back in the 60's/70's about Cadillacs. If you can't afford the gas, you can't afford the car!

OP
OP
N

Nightfire

Reaction score
11 mpg and 500 horses, your doing fine bubba! If you wanted 20 mpg, you should have bought a smaller SUV or a hybrid like an Escalade . We had a saying back in the 60's/70's about Cadillacs. If you can't afford the gas, you can't afford the car!

Could have done without the lecture. It is not a huge complaint, I just think it could do better. The s/c has an internal bypass, so mpg should be only marginally worse than a normal 2011 Limited on 33s. If 11-13 mpg is whay they are getting, than so be it.