First World Adaptive Cruise Control Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m3olsen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just made a 600 mile trip, mostly on I-10, and even in moderate traffic with the closest following distance I find the ACC unusable.

The ACC leaves just enough space for some ******* to rush up the right lane and squeeze in between me and the vehicle I’m following, in the fast lane, causing my vehicle to slow and increase the gap. This vicious cycle happened over and over for a good hour before I finally shut the SOB (ACC) off.

I’m sure they’ve calculated the following distance for safety reasons and for allowing the vehicle time to react to its surroundings but this is ridiculous.

Now, I wonder if there is a way in Forscan to reduce the following distance. I don’t think it would be too dangerous for an alert driver to reduce the gap by 1 vehicle length which would dissuade most drivers from trying to squeeze in the lane ahead.

This chain started by expressing a concern about the shortest set interval not being close enough to work effectively in tight traffic. I'm running a 2017 so no adaptive cruise, but I experimented with a Toyota on a 1500 mile trip some time back. I found that I could manually apply accelerator and "override" or shrink the set gap while leaving the system active. Any time I let off the gas, it would fall back to it's preset. Not sure if I got TOO close that it would start braking (I assume so), but worked great for me on my trip. Again, don't know if Ford system responds in same way, but wanted to share the experience for reference.

Rancidlunchmeat

2019 XLT FX4
Reaction score
This chain started by expressing a concern about the shortest set interval not being close enough to work effectively in tight traffic. I'm running a 2017 so no adaptive cruise, but I experimented with a Toyota on a 1500 mile trip some time back. I found that I could manually apply accelerator and "override" or shrink the set gap while leaving the system active. Any time I let off the gas, it would fall back to it's preset. Not sure if I got TOO close that it would start braking (I assume so), but worked great for me on my trip. Again, don't know if Ford system responds in same way, but wanted to share the experience for reference.

It works exactly that way as I said back in page 1, that's how I use it. If you feel the need you have to close the gap because of traffic congestion and overly aggressive drivers around you that will cut you off and trigger the breaking, then simply accelerate to close the gap - or fall further back until traffic has thinned. It's your call.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It works exactly that way as I said back in page 1, that's how I use it. If you feel the need you have to close the gap because of traffic congestion and overly aggressive drivers around you that will cut you off and trigger the breaking, then simply accelerate to close the gap - or fall further back until traffic has thinned. It's your call.
You're fighting a losing battle...it's a computer on a car and therefore there will always be a segment of owners (and non-owners) that don't like it. It doesn't matter if you can turn it off or behave in a way that makes it just fine, it's mere existence is enough to make some folks mad.

And that's ok.

I only wish someone would manufacture and sell a $19,998 pile of 2x4s with a lawnchair, a steering wheel and a 500hp gas (OR DIESEL) engine with 9,000ft/lb of torque and a trailer hitch (radio optional) so those folks would finally be able to purchase what they really want.

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Real nice when it screws up isn't it? The problem is, OUR lives are at stake if it really messes up bad and causes some kind of accident. I'm just not volunteering to crash because of a computer. I'm far from the best driver, but I have a safe record, so I'll try to keep it that way! :).

It really scares the $hit out of you when someone is left turning in front of you and the computer senses the speed difference and can't understand that the car is turning and will be gone in 1 second, so it dynamites the brakes and you eat the steering wheel and the cars behind you end up nearly in your rear bumper!
Dude! I’m not sure you are driving the same vehicle that I am. That’s a little dramatic. I’ve got 70,000 miles between two of them and it works swimmingly. Perfect....no. Adequate.....yes

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dude! I’m not sure you are driving the same vehicle that I am. That’s a little dramatic. I’ve got 70,000 miles between two of them and it works swimmingly. Perfect....no. Adequate.....yes

I'm just pickier! lol

GC2019

Reaction score
When we bought my wife’s new 15’ Denali, it was new to me and I absolutely hated it. No way to turn it off...
But as time went on and I gained some seat time with it, it became obvious that the feature didn’t work in all driving conditions, but was great in others.
When it comes to interstate driving away from city traffic, I became very happy to it, and ordered it in my new pickup.

After a little seat time, you come to understand how it works, when it picks up the car in front of you and how to relearn to drive with it. Then, it’s extremely useful. At least in the Ford, you can turn it off if your conditions are wrong for the feature. In the GM, we were stuck with it.