Fitting 35's on a 97 Expy and other suspension ?'s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I am as green as they come, I am the rookiest of rookies in the world of a lifted truck. 1997 Expedition 4wd 5.4L

If I do a 3" body lift, will I be able to clear enough for 35s ?
If not, what should I do ?
What brand should I get ?

How much harder/rougher will my truck ride after a body lift ?

I want a suspension lift down the road after I have bought my wheels and tires and obviously save up enough money lol. If I use the suspension kit with my body kit how much benefit do I get out of both or not ?
Last what is the best suspension brands and how high can I go without having to do too many serious mods or stress on the truck ?

Forgive me for my cherry questions, but I gotta start somewhere. Any help is appreciated.

Canadian Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you want 35" tires and want to save cash, simple install a 3" body lift along with a 2" rear coil spacer, up front either crank the torsion keys up or buy aftermarket keys.
35" tire fit no problem.

A body lift will do nothing to the ride as it only lifts the body.

Performance Accessories offers body lifts.

Unless you want bigger than 35" or want major suspension travel don't bother with a suspension kit.
use that money to buy other add ons, lights, nice rims, winch, gears..etc...

tsoza1986

Reaction score
9b8adba434f626dad8ef89abe9452d6c.jpg

Heres 35s on my 99 it has a suspension lift rides great

Lane24

technical advisor
Reaction score
Here's mine with the exact set up Canadian Expy wrote of. Just have to get some gap guards after to hide some of the frame and gap that comes through after the body lift. You can order them from Performance Accessories when you order your body lift, or if you are handy, can probably make your own.

b501035e-4913-4a20-8df3-a2d74e808ce9_zpsf6158053.jpg

Here you can see the air above the rear wheel and the frame visible.

SANY1327.jpg

And after with the gap guards installed... Just cleans it up a bit, and protects from all the mud and stuff from getting up under the area under the front wheel well also.

IMG_0726.jpg

Brett

Reaction score
It really all depends on what you want to use the truck for in my opinion. I went with suspension lift because my expedition is a trail truck that gets driven on all different types of terrain. The ride on the highway/county roads is still great.

t107X2B.jpg

wAfZcd0.jpg

tsoza1986

Reaction score
What type of lift is on yours brett? Mine is fabtech and i love it. I love the black rims

Brett

Reaction score
What type of lift is on yours brett? Mine is fabtech and i love it. I love the black rims

Thanks! It's still a work in progress.

My lift is a TrailMaster Suspension Lift. I have since put different shocks than the Ssv shocks that came with the kit however. But I love the lift kit. I've taken it on some pretty nasty trails and it gives me excellent clearance and amazing durability.