flex fuel, what vehicles from ford are capable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
i saw on tv where some trucks with 5.4's in them from 05+ were flex fuel capable. were any expedetions available with this option? if so how would you know, i bought this with a few miles on it. and exactly what is flex fuel

jimboh247

Reaction score
As far as I know, there are no Expeditions that are flex fuel. Flex fuel is the ability to burn regular gas or E85, which is 85% ethanol, 15% gas.

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am trying out e85 in my 03. I have 36lb injectors that I installed when I put the supercharger on (no kit for my year, made my own). I have more injector than I need and that's what's required when running on E85, you need up to 30 percent bigger injectors for the extra fuel needed at WOT over Gas only. For the most part, the rest of the system is compatible. I can go into great detail if you guys want, but you can mix 30 percent e85 with 70 percent regular gas and you shouldn't have any problems.
Matt

jimboh247

Reaction score
Fill us in. Unfortunately in NC there is only about 10 stations that carry E85, and the closest to me is about 50 miles away. Never the less, I'm interested in what you've learned.

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well if I was a automotive engineer (which I am not, but think I could be...LOL) and had to design a vehicle to run on today's E10 (which most of you have been putting in your tank and not knowing it), I would design the fuel system components to withstand much higher concentrations. So I'm 99 percent sure that most cars made in the last 10 years are compatible fuel system (hardware) wise. The only possible issue would be the total fuel injector capacity. E85 may need another 20-30 percent more injector/ fuel pump capacity than your current fuel needs, but those of you with a completely stock vehicle shouldn't have a problem since the factory usually gives this much extra margin.
Now for the hard part...
The calibration on FlexFuel vehicles incorporate a fuel sensor that determines the concentration of alchohol in the fuel and sends that value to the PCM via it's frequency signal similar to how the barometric pressure sensor does. This way it automatically advances the timing and increases fuel delivery to keep everything in check.
I am working on a way to do this manually right now by manipulating some sensor values to get the desired results.
For anyone who wants to try I can burn chips that would make things Kosher with the E85. I have the ability to do 6 position chips thus allowing 6 different programs to allow you to use e85 and switch back again. Unfortunately I can't do chips on my truck because it uses the newer style computer that can only be flashed so I am trying to come with another way to make the adjustments externally. The Expeds 02 and older can take a chip.
If any of you guys want to try a chip out that would let you run on e85 and switch back to your regular tune I can burn some. You will have to wait untill I get settled back in Houston in a month or so.

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
This i really think is a bad idea . The rubber parts in the
fuel system is not made for E-85
It is also 105 octaine good luck with getting the timeing to ajust
to even make it usefull

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well.... my lines are stainless steel and the fuel tank is polycarbonate plastic and all of the o-rings are synthetic rubber and the flex lines are teflon...... Mine may be different than everyone elses for some reason.... maybe since it was certified for California they may have been planning to make it flex fuel but never finished. There are also inputs in py PCM calibration for a flex fuel sensor so that really makes me think they were planning that very thing.
I have full control of my calibration with some dyno shop-grade software that is only matched by what Ford has.
Matt

Last edited:

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So far I am getting about 10% less economy but if the timing wasn't upped accrodingly it would probably loose 20%. I actually have a very aggressive tune in the truck for Premimum right now and the e85 likes even more timing than that that I am adjusting via some external source that I am changing on the fly.

Right now E85 is 2.61 a gallon when Premimum is 3.15. Once this stuff gets popular, the price difference will be even greater. It is cleaning the heck out of my piston tops and backside of my valves as well. I popped out an injector to see what was happening and the backside of the valve is sparkling now where it had some carbon buildup before. I have also noticed the engine is much quieter now on the E85 after a couple of tanks.

I notice you have an 03 as well, is your tank completely plastic and the fuel lines stainless steel as well or is mine just a freak?
Matt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360