For Those Who Don't Think a Catch Can is Needed on Gen 4 s...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
IMO catch cans are not needed on Gen 4's and results using them could be misleading.
If your catch can is full what is the oil % that is the big number. Gas in the PVC gets reburned no issue for the engine.
In high climate areas the nature of the metal catch can will collect condensation. Without it condensation would be burned in the engine which is no big deal either. So just because there is gas in the catch can over a long period of time does not mean it prevented any sludge from going in the engine. Unless you can derive the exact oil content its impossible to know the value.
Also if it was a lot of oil in the PVC then these engines would be running low on oil every month.

Also what is the impact towards warranty and altering the emission systems. Some states its illegal to mod the emission system.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
IMO catch cans are not needed on Gen 4's and results using them could be misleading.
If your catch can is full what is the oil % that is the big number. Gas in the PVC gets reburned no issue for the engine.
In high climate areas the nature of the metal catch can will collect condensation. Without it condensation would be burned in the engine which is no big deal either. So just because there is gas in the catch can over a long period of time does not mean it prevented any sludge from going in the engine. Unless you can derive the exact oil content its impossible to know the value.
Also if it was a lot of oil in the PVC then these engines would be running low on oil every month.

Also what is the impact towards warranty and altering the emission systems. Some states its illegal to mod the emission system.
One thing everyone has seemed to miss here is how a catch can also helps stop the intercooler from oil/gas logging. Some other benefits should be more fuel efficient due to cleaner valves and plugs, and one would think the catalytic converters would less likely clog from burning oil through them and keep them more efficient as far as performance goes. All these things are performance/economy related. JMO

Last edited:

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One thing everyone has seemed to miss here is how a catch can also helps stop the intercooler from oil/gas logging. Some other benefits should be more fuel efficient due to cleaner valves and plugs, and one would think the catalytic converters would less likely clog from burning oil through them and keep them more efficient as far as performance goes. All these things are performance/economy related. JMO
My point on my post was how much is actual oil? Gas evaporates or is burned again, so that wont clog or dirty anything. And water the same. So how much that the can catches is really oil? I agree oil should not be re-ingested but if its an amount to cause concern then one would think the engine would be running low on oil more often then normal. I am not against catch cans I think for race applications and older engines and even engines not designed well its great to have. But for new 4th gen engines how much collected in the can is misleading (oil %)

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My point on my post was how much is actual oil? Gas evaporates or is burned again, so that wont clog or dirty anything. And water the same. So how much that the can catches is really oil? I agree oil should not be re-ingested but if its an amount to cause concern then one would think the engine would be running low on oil more often then normal. I am not against catch cans I think for race applications and older engines and even engines not designed well its great to have. But for new 4th gen engines how much collected in the can is misleading (oil %)
89576190-8FA6-4D5C-878D-FD184E79DBB5.jpeg
This what I’ve collected in 40 couple thousand miles. I can assure you that it’s not all gas, at best 50% I’d guess by its viscosity . Either way I’m glad it’s not laying in my intercooler or baked on plugs, valves, etc…….. It definitely doesn’t look like 93 octane with its advertised “very few impurities”.

Last edited:

Wangle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow! I never thought of saving it!! Mine is usually milky and thick when trips are short, and dark like yours on longer trips. I get about 1/2-3/4 oz. per 1k miles. My thought has always been that a catch can may not be necessary, but I am really glad that stuff is not going through my engine.
Your cumulative collection really tells a story. Great work!!

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow! I never thought of saving it!! Mine is usually milky and thick when trips are short, and dark like yours on longer trips. I get about 1/2-3/4 oz. per 1k miles. My thought has always been that a catch can may not be necessary, but I am really glad that stuff is not going through my engine.
Your cumulative collection really tells a story. Great work!!
Yeah my average is about a quart per 40k so far. That’s gonna be a gallon at 160k unless things pick up because of wear (more blow by). My can doesn’t catch water (condensation) because it’s an oil separator also, which the water actually helps with good fuel atomization, combustion, and possibly helping actually clean the valves by letting it pass through.

richkim11

Reaction score
So I'll be getting my expy next month... I take my cars to the mechanic regularly, but never thought about a catch can. Can anyone tell me the best one to get, and how much should a mechanic charge to install? Also, is emptying it a hassle? it seems I'll probably have to look to check on emptying every month at least.

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I'll be getting my expy next month... I take my cars to the mechanic regularly, but never thought about a catch can. Can anyone tell me the best one to get, and how much should a mechanic charge to install? Also, is emptying it a hassle? it seems I'll probably have to look to check on emptying every month at least.

UPR and J&L are the most popular. They are easy home installation plug an play with the exception of drilling a hole (maybe) to mount the catch can next to the battery.

I have a 2022 Timberline and I am forgoing the catch cans. I think they are more suited for racing applications or older / no as well designed engines.
The posts showing liquid in the can after months can be misleading as this is condensed accumulation. The small about of blow by re-ingested into these eco boosts is negligible and the biggest issue in the past was carbon on the valves which Ford fixed with port injection. PCV should be post intercooler so blow by does not effect that. There are lots of forums on reddit where racers who rebuild their engines a lot talk about how a catch can does really nothing and is more of a after market sales pitch.

To me a catch can is more of a hassle. You have to make sure you empty it and in higher humidity it could fill up quick with condensation. Also technically Ford could void the warranty due to emission tampering if it contributes to some failure. Again this is my opinion not trying to talk anyone out of it.

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
UPR and J&L are the most popular. They are easy home installation plug an play with the exception of drilling a hole (maybe) to mount the catch can next to the battery.

I have a 2022 Timberline and I am forgoing the catch cans. I think they are more suited for racing applications or older / no as well designed engines.
The posts showing liquid in the can after months can be misleading as this is condensed accumulation. The small about of blow by re-ingested into these eco boosts is negligible and the biggest issue in the past was carbon on the valves which Ford fixed with port injection. PCV should be post intercooler so blow by does not effect that. There are lots of forums on reddit where racers who rebuild their engines a lot talk about how a catch can does really nothing and is more of a after market sales pitch.

To me a catch can is more of a hassle. You have to make sure you empty it and in higher humidity it could fill up quick with condensation. Also technically Ford could void the warranty due to emission tampering if it contributes to some failure. Again this is my opinion not trying to talk anyone out of it.
There are two PCV locations on these engines. One at the intake manifold and one at the intake manifold. If running with boost, it will dump ahead of the turbo. If not boosting, it will dump at the intake manifold. Single catch can systems typically only work with the system connected to the intake manifold.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do a search for Ford Tech Makuloco Team RXP catch can. That’s the video that I watched that lead me to decide the Team RXP can. It’s very informative.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni